DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Corrupted Floppies

Posted by angel-187474 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

The more power you give a floppy, the more likely it is that corruption will result.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Runaway-182887 - 14 years ago

Still quill pens and vellumn parchment in those days was it???   I remember them well J

xx

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 14 years ago

Oh to be young enough to have put a diary of my wild and youthful days on a floppy!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by angel-187474 - 14 years ago

... tried 3 other of the programs too but to no avail ... boo hoo hooo.

Thanks Fugly ... I may do that, failing one last option ... I may have emailed the diary to a very close friend a few years ago (although I'm not sure, as it contains some incriminating evidence of my more wild and youthful days!)

Nevertheless... I'm sure the programs I downloaded will come in handy .... there's been many an occaision when I've corrupted my files.

Cheers!     Ange

Sorry no image available
Posted by fugly-185614 - 14 years ago

Sorry to hear that.  Do not bin the floppy though, they can do something with the magenetic disk inside it.  AI has a list of computer shops etc, If you take it to one of those they may be able to help you.  Sorry could not help more :)

Sorry no image available

Thanks Legend ... but the old laptop was replaced about three years ago   (thought I was safe with my important files safely backed up onto floppys - ho ho).

Well guys ... thanks all for your help ... I've tried three different programs ... but no miracles.  The last one suggested the floppy may be physically damaged.

I guess ... all I can say is ... zut alors!

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

2 other suggestions ;

do you still have access to the machine that originally formatted this diskette and wrote the diary file to it?  Long shot I know, but even if it meant mailing your diskette back to some old office or relative, that machine wuld have the best chance of recovering its own misaligned sectors (assuming that is the problem)you said your laptop copy "got stood on".  What was stood on?  The whole laptop?  If the laptop is broken, there is a very good chance to recover the data from its hard disk.  That is a pretty straightforward operation for a PC jockey.

Sorry no image available

Am trying Virtual Lab ... I think it's working ... 1/2 hour process .. will let you know.

xxx A.

Sorry no image available
Posted by fugly-185614 - 14 years ago

try this page :)

Sorry no image available

Thanks Fugly ... gave it a whirl .. but came up with the message; "an error occured whilst accessing drive A".

Nevertheless .... there must be other programs like that available ... so I'll so a search on the net.

(Now why didn't I think of that before .... just needed prompting!)