DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Cost of Installing Water and Electric

Posted by snow_leopard - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Does anybody know roughly how much it would cost for my boyfriend and I to have our own water and electric services put in to our house? We have a small property near Fayence in the Var...

Currently we receive our water and electric from our neighbour who is turning a bit nasty! and we no longer want to have any dependancy on him.

Any advice appreciated...

Kind regards

Wendy

Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sam the clam-189505 - 14 years ago

When We installed electricity to our Quartier in 1996 to supply two houses, the EDF charged us about 100,000 francs Which we shared with our neighbour. The price depends on the distance you are from your nearest distribution pylon. For the water we had installed a bore hole 60m deep at a cost of about 40,000 francs Pump included. It doesn't come cheap!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by snow_leopard - 14 years ago

Thanks for the advice guys - the house was actually sold to us by the estate agent with water and electric run from the other house included! Another case of rip-off time...

We have a stream which should have water again soon enough and if we couple that with a generator I'm sure that will suffice in the interim.

Any ideas (roughly) how much our own services will set us back??

Thanks again

Wendy

Sorry no image available
Posted by lespalmiers - 14 years ago

Snow- leopard/Irishman

I also believe this to be illegal in France.

Remember me?Regards, Les

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 14 years ago

I agree with my compatriot. If you have to carry it in buckets, and build your own windmill, get out of your current arrangement as quick as you possibly can.

If your neighbour alleges you owe him substantial sums, proving that you don't can turn out to be more expensive than giving him a huge payoff.

A french neighbour of mine has had the same situation as they couldn't afford to have the installations carried out. In the end their helpful charitable neighbour absolutely fleeced them by claiming they owed him E20,000 for 'services' rendered, most of which was the 'inconvenience' of passing on the utilities.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by irishman-180738 - 14 years ago

As far as I know it's illegal for him to resell utilities from public companies in France. Anyone know if this is true?