DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Cost of living comparison between here and the UK

Posted by sophiegeraci - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Hello

We are planning to move to London for a few years. I would like to know how does the cost of living compare between Cote d'azur and London. For example, if one is earning 3000 Euros here, net, how much is that one should expect to earn in Londres?

Thank you

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ian81-188951 - 14 years ago

Hi Sophie

See http://www.londontoolkit.com/briefing/underground.htm and then click the lonk to the underground map and it should begin to unwrap the mysteries!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by sophiegeraci - 14 years ago

Thanks to everybody who replied. We are probably going to be in London for a year or two only.

Can someone explain the concept of the various zones in London please? What are the various zones and what do they mean?

I would preferably like to live in calm surroundings, with preferably some greenery, as close as possible to the London Metro/Tube. I am beginning to realise that the CDA is one place in maybe a thousand.

Thanks

Sophie

You can get a nice on bedroom flat for 800 pounds per month in zone three, Ealing for example, allright place but half an hour tube ride to town  ; that's 1200€. I think you can get something decent for that price around here!

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

For the beer drinker on the CdA some of the following are recommended :

Mort Subite ( gueuze)Wychwood's HobgoblinHooegarten's Le Fruit DefenduRCH Old Slug Porter Ringwood brewery Old Thumper

There are a couple of fascinating beer shops in Nice stocking all sorts of exotic brews but failing the above personal preference  selection, Irish beers are now widely sold and I believe some quite pleasant wines as well !

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by Black Cat-192495 - 14 years ago

Logical cost of living comparisons are very difficult, especially since they depend on the individual circumstances.Some thing are cheaper (property and cars), some things are more (certain untilities).And there's always the unfathomable factors. For instance, I would have to have paid about £200, 000 in the UK for the superb level of university education my offspring had (for 7 years, in one case) in France for free (or rather, at the expense of the taxpayer).As the family has also had a few dire medical problems that would probably have been badly treated under the lamentable NHS, I would have had to pay an awful lot in the UK for the quality of care we received in France again for free (or rather, again at the expense of the taxpayer). In France the "dole" is based on your previous salary. In the UK it's a lot less.So what price do you put on good education for your kids and superb medical care and how do you bring unforseen circumstances like unemployment that into the mix?The bottom line is probably that you are better off in the UK if you're single and self-employed but you're probably better off in France if you have a family and are on a salary.

Sorry no image available
Posted by CaroW-190284 - 14 years ago

I have just gone through the exercise of working out, with the help of two friends in England, what it costs per month to live in UK.  As a home owner I did not take housing into account, but everything else.  I then did the same here.  (electricity, gas, phone, council tax,food, petrol, insurance et etc, etc).  I found that it would cost for me personally £100 per month more in the Uk.  Having said that my salary in Uk would be twice here!

Sorry no image available
Posted by NadiaG-192314 - 14 years ago

We're talking about what you can afford with your net income here, so it is normal to compare the cost of things rather than the tax rate.Nadia

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Housing is unquestionably far more expensive in decent areas of London than in the South of France.  London is a major world capital and financial centre,  so this is not surprising.  For this reason it is not really valid to compare

quote:I now live in Mougins, in a 3 piece that costs me 890 Euros rent. We have tennis, swimming pool, etc. I wonder how much would an equivalent be in London?

with the same in London, as a swimming pool and a tennis court are far less useful there.

Apart from the above, and not overlooking the fact that housing is for most people their major fixed cost,  most other things in the UK are less expensive than here when you take it into account disposable income after higher French direct and indirect taxation and social security charges. This is the only realistic basis for calculation.

Many people fall into the trap of :

Meal in France = EUR 20, meal in UK = GBP 30,  therefore the UK is twice as expensive.

Sorry no image available
Posted by NadiaG-192314 - 14 years ago

You can get a nice on bedroom flat for 800 pounds per month in zone three, Ealing for example, allright place but half an hour tube ride to town  ; that's 1200€. I think you can get something decent for that price around here!

And yes, sorry, a pint of beer is more expensive here, but it's probably the only thing! (saying that, CDA is far from cheap compared to the rest of France, but you can't have it all!)

Nadia

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

But a glass of decent wine isn't !!stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by plusate - 14 years ago

Pints of beer are much cheaper in London pubs than in the CDA.... :-)