DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Costs in France

Posted by Zingano-186230 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by David_F-180946 - 15 years ago

I was insured through a local english-speaking broker, but changed to BNP. I saved a huge amount (a lot less than UK). Strangely enough it's with the same insurance company.

A propos renting out in the UK. The tenant is liable for the council tax. Remember that any charges/mortgage/insurance etc. are tax deductible in UK and France.

Sorry no image available
Posted by michaelh-184806 - 15 years ago

Si, mate, I've seen your car!!!   or should I say one of your cars.. Save your 19€ a month and after 2 months you'll be able to afford another, just like it.

:0)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

Car Insurance is definitely cheaper here especially if you have a standard (ok, boring!) sort of car and are over 25, full NCB etc.

Surprising considering the atrocious drivers, higher costs of parts ad repairs, and the inevitability of at least minor scrapes, and so on,  but the rate of theft is much lower here.

Sorry no image available
Posted by DaveH-180933 - 15 years ago

Can only quote from my own experience but for cars I reckon (with a full NCB and not a sporty job etc) that I am around 50 - 60% of the UK costs. Remember all car insurance in the Uk has gone up markedly to account for theft and vandalism etc. This does however depend on the area in which you reside in UK.

Regarding property and contents insurance, I have a similar value property here to that in the UK, and whereas in the UK I needed two policies (home + contents) here I only need one, and that is again around 60% of the Uk charges. Remember again that insurance costs in the UK have risen rapidly because of all the flood and other claims in recent years (I know, we were flooded a few years back, and saw the increase in premiums which followed)

Perhaps I have a good agent (I would certainly recommend him anyway)

Dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by Si-180835 - 15 years ago

It's just a case of shopping around for Car insurance I think. One of my cars is insured 3rd party for 19 Euros a month. It's an old one but you can't complain at that price.

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 15 years ago

daveH said;

quote:Insurance - much cheaper (both property and vehicle)

Dave I've not any recent UK experience to go by but judging from the furious complaints here in this forum made by Brits about the cost of car insurance in France, your comment really surprises me.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Zingano-186230 - 15 years ago

We were planning on moving our furniture down, and trying to let our UK house unfurnished (so we'd need to be able to afford the UK mortgage/coucil tax/buidlings insurance as well as rent on a French property if we didn't find tenants). We'd probably sell the UK car, and buy another in France - I expect we'd need two if we lived out of town (are there buses to V-N?), which I doubt we'd afford on one salary. The plan is for me to try to develop (pun intended) my stock photography business, but if that proves financially impossible I could try to find another job in IT - dunno how quickly I could do that with only O' level French...Haven't really thought hard about other costs, as usually you can eat pretty cheaply if you like to eat local food, which we do (did pretty well in Japan, for example, which must be far more expensive). We do like pubs / bars / restaurants and all that, but it doesn't sound likely that we would be able to afford them. Have to just get pissed in the garden with a litre of red wine...

Sorry no image available
Posted by DaveH-180933 - 15 years ago

From recent experience, I would advise as follows:

Rentals - expensive as noted above, plus you need to account for finders fee for the agent  (1 month even if he does nothing) deposit (I think its 2 or 3  months in France??) and advance payments (1 month)

Electricity - less costly

Telephone - less costly

Mobile - less costly

Water - more expensive

Food etc - probably more expensive

Insurance - much cheaper (both property and vehicle)

General cost of living - higher

General quality of life - better

Weather - better

Dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by Si-180835 - 15 years ago

A very general calculation on tax I've found is that its equivilent to one months gross salary for a married couple, no children with only one spouse working.Rent costs on short term furnished places are high especially in the summer. Therefore you need to take a long term unfurnished place to have a fixed rent, but will need furniture. Something else to think about.Insurance I've found to be reasonable, especially as in rented property you only have contents insurance and not buildings. If you are bringing your UK car with you then you will have other issues to consider too.Have you thought about other costs, such as grocery's (ok if you don't mind non uk stuff) etc. Likewise, depending on what you like doing socially you could be in for suprises. Pub prices are high for example.

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 15 years ago

Nope!  Large dogs are not bad news for tax J otherwise I would not have so many õõõ