DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

council pop

Posted by Andy G-190935 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Andy G-190935 - 14 years ago

Hi Mike,

Sadly my problem with LDEaux is as a result of the previous occupant of my house submitting a bogus meter reading. He paid for 30m3 of water over 8 summer months while I received a bill for 370m3 (870 Euros) for the 5 winter months I have been at the house. The lady at L D Eaux agreed that this looked suspicious but said that they couldn't do anything unless I had proof of the reading when I moved in. I should have known better because this was one of many times the same guy had tried to trick me when I bought his house, but while fighting against all the other more serious lies, I let my guard down for a moment and didn't keep proper note of the readings when I moved in. So despite my protests about the obviously unfair bill, I have to pay.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

So sorry, I can't provide any input about the water pressure. Mine seems fine.

TonyP: thanks for those links. I wish I was more knowledgeable about chemistry. I would have liked to have disproved some of that pseudo science.

Andy

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

My guess is that in Andy's case the salesman used copper electrodes or at least a copper anode.

The electrolysis would deposit copper ions from the anode into the solution, tinting it blue.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Hi Andy

Thanks for raising this as we are all likely to be 'victims' at some point.

You mentioned you were having another issue with Lyonnaise des Eaux. If it relates to poor service and/or inadequate pressure and unreliability,  please contact me to let me know how you are doing as I am making no headway at all with them despite their admission that our pressure is 1 kpa - about a third of what it should be.   The pressure varies so wildly that in the shower we can go from scalding hot to cold and back again in 30 seconds without anyone else touching any other taps in the house. 

Cheers .....

Sorry no image available
Posted by Andy G-190935 - 14 years ago

Wow it seems everyone is filtering drinking water except us. The trouble is that unless you can continuously analyse the water you have no idea really about what's in it, pesticides, bacteria, viruses etc. What really worries me is the quantity of dissolved metals. Some metals never leave your body and just build up over time. Ever since that salesman came around I haven't been able to drink our tap water. The residue left on the glass after the electrolysis test still hasn't come off even after going through the dishwasher twice.

By the way, he carried out the same test on a leading brand of bottled water we use to prepare the baby's milk. That looked pretty awful too, although not as bad as the tap water. It's worrying to think that 80% of our baby's body mass is made up of that stuff as that had been his only source of water almost since birth.

I'll have to look into the filters you have all recommended. Alternatively, I could dig a well.

Andy

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pervinca - 14 years ago

Many thanks.

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

I know you can buy them in France as I saw an ad for Doulton filters in a free magazine available at my local "bio." Here are some on-line merchants:

http://www.ideesmaison.com/eco/vel/eaucmd.php?page=2
http://www.aqua-techniques.fr/doulton.html
http://www.midi-loisirs.com/premiersens/index.asp?theme=10&offset=6

Here's a US site that has a picture of what my water filter in NY used to look like after a few month's use. I used to regularly take it apart to clean all the gack off. I just consulted my Concise Oxford Dictionary and "gack" isn't really a word, but I think you know what I mean.

http://www.wholly-water.com/ceramic.htm

Anyone can install the countertop model. For the under the sink type, you may need someone with a bit of plumbing know-how.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pervinca - 14 years ago

Hello Lana

You're a vertitable mine of information and good, sound advice, a boon to newcomers like me. Now that we're coming up to peak tourist time the tap water's going to be even more heavily chlorinated and frankly undrinkable I'm toying with the idea of installing a water filter.  Can you buy the Doulton one in France? (Nice, possibly) And is it possible to instal it yourself or do you need a technician?

Thanks (also for past advice o n various matters).

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

A very good water filter is made by Doulton and filters out metals from old pipes, chlorine, cysts and other baddies and the water tastes great. For a reasonable price you can get either a countertop or under the sink model. Filters need to be replaced once a year and are much more cost-effective than Brita. The Doulton was actually recommended by my doctor in New York.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by tkw - 14 years ago

The water here in Antibes is well chlorinated...but tastes ok if you are used to that kind of thing. Anyway with that amount of chlorine I'm not worried about anything more dangerous getting through short of a major landslide in the reservoir.

However for about 20euros you can get a Brita caraf at Carrefour with a charcoal filter...replace the filter every couple of months and it takes out all the yucky taste and fits nicely in your fridge so you have cold drinking water at all times. Won't protect you from beaver fever but life is too short for paranoia.