DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Creating Website

Posted by Boris D. - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

Hi there ,

I want to "create" my own website , but have no experience .

Could someone please tell me where I can get informations about it (which are easy to be understood) ?

boris

Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by CaroW-190284 - 13 years ago

Here we are several months down the line!

I have been searching for information re learning how to design websites (maybe eventually for a living) and came across all these replies!  All very helpful stuff for a complete novice who doesn't know where to start.

Not sure whether to do a Home tutorial course, or buy a few books!

Sorry no image available
Posted by gibbings - 13 years ago

Well if you get fed up I can build you one cheap cheap cheap!!

Good LuckLouis

Sorry no image available
Posted by lulu-183463 - 13 years ago

you might also want to consider getting a template (pre-made site) then customize it (or not). here's some info: http://www.templatemonster.com/ good luck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Old Brit - 13 years ago

It always seems so complicated, doesn't it!Try this: http://www.satcure.co.uk/tenminute.htm

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 13 years ago

Creating a website usually consists of the following steps:(1) Think about the site design. Some people don't bother with this step, but it's very important. If everything is going to be on the same page then it's not so much of an issue, but if it will consist of several pages then you'll need to think about how you want your website to be laid out, and how the pages will link to one another. You should try to make it as easy to navigate as possible (a general rule of thumb is that you should be able to get from one page to any other page on the site in no more than 2 clicks).(2) Create the web pages. This is easier said than done, obviously. The easiest way to do it is to use a 'WYSIWYG' ('what you see is what you get') editor such as [url="http://www.macromedia.com/software/dreamweaver/"]Dreamweaver[/url], but it would also be good to learn some HTML, which is the 'markup language' that web pages are written in. Dreamweaver creates HTML for you automagically, but it's definitely an advantage to be able to edit the code by hand. Search Google for 'html primer' for some good starting points. Bear in mind that web pages are really just plain text files, so editing them isn't all that difficult once you know what you're doing.Alternatively, if you really don't want to bother learning how to use Dreamweaver or HTML and you just want to have a website as quick as possible, there are some sites that have online site building tools (e.g. [url="www.geocities.com"]GeoCities[/url]).(3) Testing (some people don't bother with this step either). You should make sure that your website is compatible with as many browsers as possible - the main ones to check are Internet Explorer and Netscape, but there is a whole host of others (Firefox, Mozilla, Opera, lynx, elinks, etc.). Also test at different screen resolutions - consider that some people viewing your sight might suffer from visual impairments.(4) Upload the web pages (and graphics, if applicable) to a website (this could be done in conjunction with step 3 as part of the testing). If you decided to use a site-building tool such as GeoCities in step 2, then you probably don't need to bother with this bit. It's really as simple as just copying files from one computer to another. You might choose to put them on a website that allows you to upload web pages for free, or buy your own domain.Good luck!