DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

D-Day

Posted by Tallben-185282 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - 14 years ago

Yes we watched the ceremony on the TV and the drama/documentary earlier this evening which highlighted the courage of the French Resistance workers whose help was also vital in the success of this operation and the survival of many of our brave veterans.  Did anyone notice they didn't get a mention or a thank you in the Queen's speech ? 

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

I consider the French put on an absolutely  magnificent memorial ceremony today in Normandy - I would imagine that the award of the Chevalier de Legion of Honneur to most of these old soldiers of so many different nationalities would not have been taken lightly and just goes to demonstrate how much the liberation 60 years ago means to the French, certainly of that region anyway.

We also have to remember that it was hommage to the men who died and the survivors, not the current Political leaders, but if there is greater co-operation and communication between those present and equally overwhelmed by the proceedings then the human spirit is all the more beneficial.

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by calcalino - 14 years ago

attended ceremony in antibes and feel it was very well done - quite a lump in the throat when they played the national anthem!

shame so few young people there but i suppose it is inevitable that as time goes on the sacrifice made by so many should have historical rather than personal impact

without the courage of the allied forces how many of us may not be here today?

Sorry no image available
Posted by scott-182097 - 14 years ago

Well said Tallben

Fortunately I am the UK to commemorate D-Day as I find the attitude of the French less than one would expect on these occasions. My late father served in WW2 and I salute him and his fallen comrades. They gave all they had to give in order that we could be free in Europe and able to live as we do now. 

scott