DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Dell Wireless Router and AOL

Posted by JJ-183649 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MagnusH - 13 years ago

You mentioned a USB modem. Have you successfully used that before? USB modems use PPPoA whereas a combination of separate router / modem uses PPPoE. I thought that you have to tell the ISP if you want to switch from PPPoA to PPPoE so that they can change a setting in their equipment. Not absolutely sure though. Maybe it is automatic. Just a thought...

Sorry no image available
Posted by JJ-183649 - 13 years ago

Been on the phone to Dell for over an hour, and still no solution although very persistent and helpful, trying all which way; they promise to call me tomorrow morning when they have researhed further.

The modem is BeWAN ADSL Ethernet (forced since Truemobile insists ethernet not USB, as is AOL modem), and yes it does have a sync light.

In the hope that they call back tomorrow and in the hope that they help me succeed, I'll post 'the solution'. Ever the optimist.......

Steve

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

See Dano's famous AOL disclaimer here

Otherwise, the DELL TrueMobile 2300 router is pretty simple to setup.  I'd advise you to use entirely its web interface rather than any fancy software that AOL provides.  It'd be interesting to know what modem you are using wth the 2300 - who supplied it?  Does it have a lamp showing basic DSL synchronization (regardless of the 2300 and AOL parameters)? e-mail for further tips if the above doesn't get you going.