DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Digitising slides & negatives

Posted by SunnySue-315619 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ba&Ke - 6 years ago

The other day I spotted Jonathon Brown who advertises here on Anglo (http://riviera.angloinfo.com/afdetail.asp?Rec=9974). I've got some old slides I want digitised and I've spoken to him on the phone. He's coming round to collect some of them from me. Seems like a really friendly chap. I'll let you know when I've had some scanned.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 6 years ago

With such a volume you should first ask yourself one important question "Do I have the time to do it myself or will I pay for a service to do this?"
On such a volume, if you have the time, you could save money (even after the purchase of a decent 1200 dpi scanner) if you do it yourself. The downside as mentioned already by Olp1e is that it does take quite some time. The upside is that you can fiddle around to your heart's content - some of the top end HP scanners come with great retouching software for removing blemishes, etc.
If however you decide to go for a service, then you will probably get better value in the UK than in France. You certainly have the volume to make the Chronopost delivery worthwhile. Checkout http://www.revivestudios.co.uk/ as they offer free samples so you can see what you will get.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Olp1e - 6 years ago

You could try asking at a proper camera shop but it won't be cheap. Alternatively you could search ebay for companies that supply digitizing services. Once you find one, I would suggest you try sending a few test slides to test the quality and reliability of the service. The cheapest option, if you have the time and patience is to buy a specialized film scanner or one of the more expensive photo scanners with a film scanner adaptor. I have a Canon Canoscan which handles 12 slides at a time and takes about 5 mins to convert each batch. These scanners cost £100 upwards depending on the features and picture quality.

Sorry no image available
Posted by LouiseLL - 6 years ago

This is something I'd be interested in as well, if anyone has any suggestions!