DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Do U know of a language summer camp for teens?

Posted by PugiGalante-181859 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Hi, Am tired of having my independent 13 yr old boy (bi lingual fr + eng)  be "bored" at home all summer and was wondering if anybody out there has any experience sending their kids off for 4 or 8 weeks to learn something useful. I was thinking of maybe a spanish, italian or german language camp. Somewhere in Europe. Would love to get some ideas & past experiences good or bad... Thanks!

PugiGalante

Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by PugiGalante-181859 - 14 years ago

Hi Jayne- I don't know where individual families would advertise for an exchange of kids for language learning purposes, but you can try searching with google. Or other search engines like webferret.com

When I was a kid, AMERICAN FIELD SERVICES sponsored by a Quaker group in the USA arranged wonderful exchanges ( usually for a school semester or 2- ) where the cost was little more that the round trip ticket.

Have not come up with anything reasonably priced but this deal *see website below*

http://www.olc-international.com/

was 2,700 for a month during summer with room-board & a lot of trips in a town just above Venice. I notice than Spanish at Salamanca was less costly.  For my kid I am open to German or Italian. I guess he is a year younger than yours. I suppose you have had the same experience with the kid wasting time on computer games & TV all summer. This time I am determined he should make some progress in something useful to him.

So if I find something more, will post it here ... I guess under the anglo info deal everybody who has contributed will get a notification.

Pugigalante @yahoo.com

PugiGalante

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jayne-190005 - 14 years ago

I have a 14 year old daughter (bilingual fr and eng) and am also searching for something not too expensive to occupy her during the long summer holidays, when I'll be working.She's studying Italian at school and I'd thought about possibly finding an "exchange" to Italy with a teenager of similar interests (mad on tennis). Any ideas please? Thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by PugiGalante-181859 - 14 years ago

thanks for the link to the Monaco outfit <http://www.hli.co.uk/prices.htm>.

1 to 1 teaching  & family home stay immersion all sounds good but at around 200+ Euros a day it is  waaaaaaay more than we planned on spending for an 8 week or so summer language camp for our 12 yr old kid. We figure 5-7000 should be plenty for a summer course, activities & board.. Not upwards of 12,000E. 

He says he would most like German taught in Vienna or other place in Austria this summer.

The other link so kindly provided seemed to be about sports, not languages.

So any more ideas?

PugiGalante

Sorry no image available
Posted by sophie2197 - 14 years ago

Hello!

I've recently heard from a friend about Home Language International. She sent her son on a trip to Spain to learn spanish and he had a great time. Here is the website: www.hli.co.uk.

Hope this helps!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Shuba - 14 years ago

Follow this link http://www.ucpa.com/home.asp

It offers a wide choice and very well organised.