DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Do you always check your change?

Posted by K98 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

It's good advice to always check your change, but some places seem to need more diligence than others.

My recent experience revolves around one of the cafés at Nice airport Terminal 2. More precisely, the one immediately in front of you when you emerge at the air side of the security check near the easyJet desks. I've been short changed there the last three times I've used the place.

(I'm not a glutton for punishment. After the first time, it was merely a bit of research to see if this was a regular thing or a genuine one-off mistake. Of course, the sample size could never be considered adequate for a serious piece of research ;-)

On each occasion, I gave a friendly smile and uttered a quiet remark bringing the error to the (same) server's attention. This resulted in her giving me a refund, no apology and the merest hint of an ever-so-slight miffed expression.

It would be completely out of order to accuse these fine people of running a scam (and no doubt against the law) but after being short changed on three consecutive visits, and all with the same reaction, it's tempting to think it may not be a coincidence. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by leslie-179832 - 14 years ago

I always feel very stupid after I have been taken advantage of in this way. Just this past friday I paid 5 euros for ONE lime!!!!I thought that the total of my shopping bill was high, but just chalked it up to not knowing how exspensive something was that I picked out. I then checked my bill, BUT not until I was on the bus on my home and saw the 5 euros charge for one lime!!! UGH!!!!

Leslie

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lisa_C - 14 years ago

Same thing happend to me at T2 airport, Cafe du Monde. I was short-changed by a 5-euro note but I stood my ground and the girl gave it back. She had the cheek to ask 'if I was sure...'

I agree with Mike about the prices though. I try to take my own bottle of water now. In an emergency, there are drinks machines that dispense bottles of water just on the right after you are through the x-ray machines. It's a bit cheaper -  2,50 euros as opposed to 3,50 euros. I think the bottle is bigger, too.

Lisa

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lisa_C - 14 years ago

Same thing happend to me at T2 airport, Cafe du Monde. I was short-changed by a 5-euro note but I stood my ground and the girl gave it back. She had the cheek to ask 'if I was sure...'

I agree with Mike about the prices though. I try to take my own bottle of water now. In an emergency, there are drinks machines that dispense bottles of water just on the right after you are through the x-ray machines. It's a bit cheaper -  2,50 euros as opposed to 3,50 euros. I think the bottle is bigger, too.

Lisa

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

I tend not to check my change but there are certain places where instinct and advice make it prudent to do so.  The airport is one of those.  Due to the high prices of the airport facilities,  I make as little use of them as possible,  but on at least half of the last few times I've used them,  I have been short changed.  I've stood silently with my hand stretched out waiting for the rest and it has been given to me with a sour look and no comment.  I view this as an acknowledgement of guilt.

You'd think the prices were high enough that they wouldn't need to short change you on top of it,  but then I suppose the employees don't benefit from the high prices and the logic probably goes along the lines of : "If this fat cat can afford to buy air tickets AND pay 3.50 Euros for a bottle of water then he can't be short of a bit of cash ......"

Sorry no image available
Posted by Palmtrees-188751 - 14 years ago

At the same kiosk at terminal 2, I handed over a 20 Euro note.   The assistant gave me part of the change back and paused long enough before giving me the 10 Euro note.   I felt sure that he was checking to see if I was paying attention or not.    

Sorry no image available
Posted by fionajthomson - 14 years ago

In the space of 7 days I have been short changed on two occasions... The first time it was in a supermarket they short changed me by 10 euros... The second time it was in a tabac & on this occasion it was 5 euros...

Luckily on both occasions I pointed it out to the shop staff & I got the money back without too much "Ooh-la-la" & waving of arms!!

Makes you wonder though what happens to the money when they cash up at the end of the day & the till is over?! Is someone's making a nice little wager... We wonder?!!

Bubbles

Sorry no image available
Posted by English_girl - 14 years ago

Same thing goes for shopping bills, as special offers etc are often not registered in the tills and you can  leave the supermarket having paid about 3-4E more than you should have - ok it's only small change, but it pays for 2 coffees!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Shuba - 14 years ago

Oh yes, recently after having lunch with a friend in Cap 3000 we were short changed. I had the nerve to bring this to the attention of the lady behind the counter who served us and she went of with a loud explanation, arms flying. Not understanding a word I calmly told her again that she did not give us the correct change. By now we had an audience around us (due to her ranting) and I was ready to call it quits. A French gentleman, at this point stepped up behind me and told the lady in a friendly tone that my friend and I only want to now what happened to the change she sticked in her pocket! We were treated to a look of total loafing whilst the money appeared from her pocket and slammed down on the counter. Needless to say there was no tip forthcoming. After all this I picked up the  money, thanked the gentleman who came to our aide and left. I wish I know though what happened afterwards since there was loads of witnesses, but knowing the system probably nothing.

Friendly service always deserve a tip but in this instance it came down to stealing. I should'nt have excepted this  but not being fluent in French and previous experience with ignorant people made me realise I would only saddle myself with a major headache.