DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Does a French Tv work in the UK?

Posted by CaroW-190284 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Most TVs (and videos) sold in France in recent years are Pal/Secam dual standard.  That takes care of the colour issue so you'd be OK with satellite, videos, etc.  However you still might not be able to view UK terrestrial TV as the bandwidth (audio<>video) separation might be different.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tigger-191229 - 14 years ago

You can also buy a colour converter to adapt the SECAM receiver (TV) to a PAL broadcast stream. It all has to do with the number of lines. It depends on how expensive your telly is, and whether you feel it's worth shelling out 130 quid for a converter. If it's a cheap portable, I wouldn't bother - if its a Bang&Olufsen do it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by CaroW-190284 - 14 years ago

Thanks very much everyone!

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

I guess it might work connected to a UK video recorder which is connected to the antenna.

I understand that the French developped SECAM to protect their own industry and the UK developped their own version of PAL to stop the telephones tinkling when you change channels.

If you use a UK telly in the PAL area of Europe the sound wont work.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by irishman-180738 - 14 years ago

Actually it depends on what you want to view on the box.If you want to watch terrestrial channels from a normal aerial then no it won't work,... but ... if you want to use it to view On-Digital (digital terrestrial), Sky Digital (digital satellite)or anything else that connects to the TV using a Scart connector then it should work fine.

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

quote:Does anyone know if a French television taken back to the UK, will work there or not? 

No it won't

quote:Or are they on different band widths or something?!

Yeah something like that