DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Earth Hour 2008 29/03/08 Take Part!

Posted by dkilleen - Created: 10 years ago
0 0

Earth Hour is a movement that started in Sydney, Australia to conserve our fragile earth's limited resources. Join millions of people around the world this Sunday night, 29/03/08 at 8 pm & turn off your lights for just one hour to participate. Last time I looked I was one of only three people participating in Antibes!

You can register your participation & learn more about Earth Hour at:
http://earthhour.org/user/1g8g Let's show the world that the French Riviera cares too!

Thank you for your help & participation. Donna

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Hegjez-219340 - 10 years ago

We didn't use any electricity between 8 and 9pm last night. The kids thoroughly enjoyed the time and we played Pictionary by candlelight infront of the log fire!The neighbour's daughter (French) stayed over last night and she thought it was great fun - her parents will be joining in next year!The idea of the Earth Hour is to 'raise awareness' of our enery consumption, not necessarily to 'conserve energy'. My kids asked lots of questions and I thought it was a great opportunity to educate them....

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ras-214972 - 10 years ago

Not to damper too much this well meaning activity, but my EDF bill indicates that only 8.1% of the electricity in France is derived from carbon based fuels (the rest being mainly nuclear). So hardly any CO2 will be saved by this event.Much better to make permanent and long lasting lifestyle changes. Richard

Sorry no image available
Posted by inahsak - 10 years ago

Just want to share that last night, Le Jazz in Monaco hosted a happy hour that sponsored the whole idea of Earth Hour--we were handing out beeswax candles to customers, and explaining the whole concept, how to get involved, etc.Lots of people raised the same challenges: how can it really help? What's the point? Won't make enough of a difference.However, time is not repeatable--so one hour of any amount of reduced wattage is absolutely bankable. If you turn off your 50 Watt bulbs for one hour, the only way you would "ruin" your efforts would be if you changed to 100 Watt bulbs and left them on when you normally would use them.And if people begin to think about their own Carbon Footprint in daily life, it might slowly reduce the usage of petrol products--and that type of public mindset increases pressure to discover and implement a viable, alternate fuel source.I do hope you participate, and just as a final plug, you are welcome to join in at Le Jazz of Monaco and we'll shut down lights together!small acts make a big impact

Sorry no image available
Posted by dkilleen - 10 years ago

Sorry there has been some confussion...My fault. The original posting came from USA info. It is definitely tonight the 29th!

Sorry no image available
Posted by ameri-cannes - 10 years ago

A little confusion here... OP states light-out on Sunday, March 29th... but today is Saturday, March 29th...

Are we doing this Saturday the 29th or Sunday the 30th?

-Kim

Sorry no image available

I don't expect to single-handedly save the planet, but it sure won't hurt me to turn off the lights for an hour, even if the effort only results in getting others involved... perhaps it's a tiny step in the right direction ;-)-Kim

Sorry no image available
Posted by mercantour-235334 - 10 years ago

Earth Hour is supported by the World Wildlife Fund. See the google.co.uk site support and news releases. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by mberrada - 10 years ago

unfortunately, saving our planet is a bit more demanding and will take more time than a 5mn switch off in antibes....

Sorry no image available
Sorry no image available
Posted by Mauna Meditation Practice Center - 10 years ago

Done !Every year we participate to programs like this one... "A day without my car"... etc stuff like that. Show you care too !Seb.close your eyes for a better listening