DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Earth Hour 2008 29/03/08 Take Part!

Posted by dkilleen - Created: 11 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 11 to 20)

Sorry no image available
Posted by dkilleen - 11 years ago

Thanks Inahsak, Well explained for all.Donna Killeen
+423 663 219 624
after 23/02/08

Sorry no image available
Posted by inahsak - 11 years ago

MK2 - the idea is to save energy for 60 minutes, and it does not have to be concurrent savings as the goal is reduced energy use--not "darken the planet at the same time."

There is a formula used to actually convert the amount of kilowatts saved into CO2 emissions "saved" and then one can calculate exactly how much impact was achieved.

Last year, when Sydney participated, they compared a typical 8pm Saturday hour to the one during Earth Hour--the reduced kilowattage was the equivalent of 48,000 cars off the planet--permanently. Every city that participates can use this calculation to assess their own contribution to the planet, no matter what time zone they are in.

No matter where you live, you can make a difference. I hope you participate and tell others too...

small acts make a big impact

Sorry no image available
Posted by MK2-220957 - 11 years ago

How will this work. It will more be like earth day instead of earth hour since 8pm here is different than say 8pm in Sydney?

Sorry no image available
Posted by mercantour-235334 - 11 years ago

Hi - we are in the sticks in the Mercantour - it might be fun to do something "green" say in the forest for next year??

Sorry no image available

Thanks Inahsak & Mercantour, I will try to make the Le Jazz event on the 29th! Perhaps we can meet there & come up with some event ideas for next year? I have a friend in Florida who is also working on a big event for next year. Great idea about the Palace & our boat will definately be lights out!

Sorry no image available
Posted by mercantour-235334 - 11 years ago

Done.....!!

Liz

Sorry no image available
Posted by inahsak - 11 years ago

Hi there...so pleased to see that you are promoting Earth Hour in Antibes (and the full French Riviera)...please know that I've been pressuring the palace of Monaco to shut down the lights for that 1 hour. Do sign up on www.earthhour.org , and also there is an event in Monaco at Le Jazz (3, rue de la Turbie, just up from the Place d'Armes)

Friday 28th March
5pm-8pm
2 for 1 happy hour drinks + a beeswax candle while supplies last

Saturday 29th March
8pm - come one come all to watch the lights dim and the candles light up in this bar...

I'm even using contacts to get the boats to shut down lights for one hour...even just a little bit of effort goes a long way. People can choose to do nothing, thinking they cannot make a difference--or they can at least contribute what they can, and hope others catch the same spirit!

So turn off the lights for an hour...THE EARTH WILL THANK YOU FOR IT

small acts make a big impact

Sorry no image available
Posted by ameri-cannes - 11 years ago

Thanks! I'll have to plan something special to help me remember, like a candle-lit dinner on the balcony! Should be interesting... ;-)-Kim

Sorry no image available

Well done Kim! You're great!

Sorry no image available
Posted by ameri-cannes - 11 years ago

Thanks, dkilleen! I've signed up. Hope to see the numbers grow! :-)-Kim