DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

EDF How many kW do I need?

Posted by Nice2004 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

I had 10A at my old house.  The trip switch tripped if we cranked the hifi up above a whisper.  We had to cook in the dark.  It was pathetic.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 13 years ago

Sorry, yes, only the new digital meters have 10A as the default, my neighbour's starts at 16 too.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nice2004 - 13 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for your advice - I'm hoping that everything will be ok on the 6kw - I guess will just have to live there a bit and see how things go!

Nice2004

Sorry no image available
Posted by reinrev5 - 13 years ago

Are you sure the 10A is a mistake, we have 16 and I have never heard of anything less.

Reinrev

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 13 years ago

However! It's not the wattage that's important one it's own. When the EDF give you 6Kw they also set the breaker at 10A. That is NOT enough for anybody anytime. The electric kettle and a heater together will cripple this. Not to mention a hot water cylinder. The box can be set at 10,15,20 and 25A.

Ask your EDF man to do this for you or do it yourself if you have to. The ampage bar is where you can see the red 10 on your white digital boxes. Open up Three screws, move the bar, screw them up again. Don't kill yourself and switching off the main supply first would be a good start.

Yea, you're not supposed to tamper with the plastic seal. But the ampage range was thought up in an office in the EDF at the ground don't give a fig if you change it, because they know that you can't fit 6000K into 10 amps.

Sorry no image available
Posted by reinrev5 - 13 years ago

The EDF rep is a good idea but keep in mind that they are pushing their product. Generally, heavy electrical consuming appliances take about 1Kw or slightly more (hot water, iron, hair dryer, cooker) but they are not all necessarily used together. We are three people who live here on a yearly basis and we only have a 6KW contract with the same set-up as yours. With this 6Kw we have never had any problems, and I don't think that the wife and daughter give much thought to as to whether they are using appliances at the same time.  The next step down (= 3Kw ?) would however definitely require "juggling" the appliances.

Hope this helps - Reinrev

Sorry no image available
Posted by ruby-197471 - 13 years ago

I am not sure on this but I think if you contact EDF by phone or email they can send a rep around to estimate your needs and help you choose what you need to upgrade and even do that for you...