DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Emails bounced by AOL

Posted by LaDraille-183995 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

I am contsantly getting email bounced by AOL with the following message:

Diagnostic SMTP : 554-(RLY:B1)  The information presently available to AOL indicates this\r\n554-server is generating high volumes of member complaints from AOL's\r\n554-member base.  Based on AOL's Unsolicited Bulk E-mail policy at\r\n554-http://www.aol.com/info/bulkemail.html AOL may not accept further\r\n554-e-mail transactions from this server or domain

Any idea what the problem is/are other people experiencing the same problems

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

I've had no problems with BT,  however they have some kind of a tie-up with Yahoo,  not my favourite,  about which I understand very little.  So far however it does not seem to have affected me in any way.  I don't use their newsgroups - don't even know what a news group is. 

BT have a very efficient spamfilter which up to now has been charged at 99p. month but is to become free.

Sorry no image available
Posted by David_F-180946 - 14 years ago

Hi Brightstar,

I'm a little out of touch with the UK scene. I'll check with my son who's studying there at the moment.

Despite my remarks I think Tiscali are among the best, but you might want to check out Virgin. BT come in for a lot of flack on the newsgroups, but it may be due to their large customer base.

Cheers,

DF

Sorry no image available
Posted by Brightstar-189376 - 14 years ago

David - tks - interesting.  So who would be the best ISP to sign up with in your opinion, given I am going back to the UK and have to start again!?.

Brightstar x

Sorry no image available
Posted by David_F-180946 - 14 years ago

Tiscali don't seem much concerned about the spam problem. I've had to change my main e-mail account because of it.

It is possible that 1.) There is a lot of spam being generated in the Tiscali domain, or 2.) more likely, spam is being relayed through Tiscali's servers. This is not difficult with the right know-how.

AOL are taking a very heavy handed and naive approach.

This is something which can only be resolved by the ISPs working together, which they seem to find quite difficult.

Sorry no image available
Posted by courtiot-185037 - 14 years ago

Hello

Yes I am on Tiscali too and wrote to my friend in America and got this reply/bounce back;

- Diagnostic SMTP : 554-(RLY:B1) The information presently available to AOL indicates this\r\n554-server is generating high volumes of member complaints from AOL's\r\n554-member base. Based on AOL's Unsolicited Bulk E-mail policy at\r\n554-http://www.aol.com/info/bulkemail.html AOL may not accept further\r\n554-e-mail transactions from this server or domain. For more information,\r\n554 please visit

http://postmaster.info.aol.com.

There does not seem to be that much info about this on the site though, the problem is I have a lot of friends that are on AOL and they are all bouncing back, as was said previously the best thing to do is to use Hotmail  to anyone with AOL until this is all sorted out.  AOL must be having an awful lot of complaints - glad I changed to Tiscali from AOL!!!!!

Sue

A good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help another up.

Sorry no image available

Yes, that was sort of my understanding.  In layman's terms, I think AOL have hugely over-subscribed 'pipes' due to their marketing techniques and have therefore put in place as many firewalls etc as possible, based on the amount of spamming that a particular ISP generates.  At one point it was BT Internet, now it appears to be Tiscali.  I have contacted Tiscali in France, and they don't have an answer except 'C'est un probleme avec AOL' - duh!  Out of interest, AOL also block users from setting up their email account in Outlook/Express, presumably because they want to retain 'sticky' customers, but ultimately of course end up hacking everyone off.

DON'T USE AOL is my plea.

You would hope that when you subscribe to broadband that you would have a higher level of service, but it is not the case.  I do have additional probs with Outlook however, which I don't understand - it gets very confused when there is more than one email account registered!  You try getting through to anyone at Microsoft - impossible.

The trials and tribulations of the internet and home computing!

Brightstar x

Sorry no image available
Posted by LaDraille-183995 - 14 years ago

Ellen,

Thanks for the lead - I knew I had seen the string somewhere but couldn't find it on AI Riviera - anyway for those that are interested it seems to be an AOL problem !! - go to AI Britanny for more info - but in summary AOL seems to provide a pretty poor service and Tiscali emails are not always accepted by AOL

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ellen7-187820 - 14 years ago

There was a discussion about e-mail problems with AOL on the Brittany forum a week or so back. It seems that AOL won't accept Tiscali or something. Go and have a look. I think there were technical explanations (or at least things I didn't understand but that includes a lot of things)Ellen

Sorry no image available
Posted by LaDraille-183995 - 14 years ago

I have four differnt addresses and they all cause the same reaction - no I have not been spamming - on of them is my daughters which is rarely used.  I only use Outlook Express so it seems to me to be either a Tiscali or AOL problem... not sure how to proceed except contact Tiscali - it would be interesting to see how many other users have the same problem

Sorry no image available

Hi Charles

Yes, I was aware of the spamming influence (that's why BT Internet gets blocked all the time).  What do you mean by having a number of pseudonyms and how do you change them?  Surely if the issue is to do with ISP then that won't change things?

yours in ignorance!

Brightstar x