DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

employment / carte. Chicken and egg?

Posted by loulou2-190134 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Caro-189907 - 14 years ago

I have been led to understand that once a Carte is applied for then the french tax man will be after you! Is this true?My husband's small work pension is taxed in UK - and we wouldn't want any change to this at present. He is not yet official retiring age - he's 59. We could probably get a Carte on savings as well at present.We are also wondering what is considered an acceptable amount to live off - we have our own property in France as well as the UK. We would like to stay longer in France than the specified 3 months on occasions, but do not want to make the major changes for permanent stay at this stage. Can we get health care without the Carte?It all gets too complicated some how.Any advice welcome!Caro B

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

EU citizens have a right to live anywhere in the EU certain to subject conditions. Anf France's are that you show the documentation needed (including proof of ID, and that you will not be a financial burden on the state) and acquire an identity document - the Carte.

The UK (for example) recently abandoned the need for non-nationals to have an equivalent residency permit, but then the UK has a long (and practically unique) tradition of not requiring its subjects to carry ID, and this kinda fits in.

There is a proposal that, in future, EU citizens will NOT have to apply for a Carte de Séjour, but it has not yet been passed by the French government. My suspicion is that it will be (it is heavily backed by the Préfectures) and that it will apply to everyone except UK citizens. Why? Because UK citizens don't have a national ID card to act as an acceptable substitute...

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by lynnettejane - 14 years ago

Just a couple of questions, if uk citizens have an automatic right to live in France, why do we need a Carte de Sejour, and didn't someone on the forum once say that it is being reviewed and that EU citizens will not need it at some point in the near future. Also how much savings do you need to get the carte? Thanks, regards Lynnette

Sorry no image available
Posted by loulou2-190134 - 14 years ago

Brilliant! Thanks for your replies.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dcameron - 14 years ago

My experience is that an employer will take you on without a carte de sejour, but will ask you to apply for one.  I had a Dutch colleague who took 2 years to get around to doing this and it wasn't a problem.

However, I'm not sure how they would behave if you didn't have an automatic right to residency in France i.e. if you are from a non-EU country.

Doug

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

If you are a UK national (or a citizen of any EU country, or married to one) you do not need any form of work permit to work in France. Consequently, you can apply for work first and then take the contract with you to the Préfecture to have the status of your Carte de Séjour altered.**************
Mike