DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Employment in France - is it possible

Posted by lynngilson99-192932 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Hi everyone

I recently posted a topic called 'Living and working in France - is it possible?' - firstly, thanks to everyone who replied for their advice.

Following on from that I would like if possible more specific information, should anyone have it, on actually finding work.

I mentioned this in my previous posting but I was mainly asking about the possibility of owning a gite complex. Its now pretty obvious that this difficult with low return and the market is saturated anyway.

To answer a point that kept coming up - neither my husband or I are afraid of hard work, and are willing to accept the challenge of the change of culture, etc. We are already learning French and start a proper course next month. However, if a gite complex is going to have such a low return it is not worth the effort.

My husband is an engineer within the aerospace industry(Rolls Royce) with a degree and 5 years experience in this - does anyone know if he might find anything in that or a similar field if/when he was bilingual? If not - what are the options, I would consider almost anything as I have done a variety of jobs in my time.

Incidently I understand this site/forum is specifically for the Riviera but I am trying to put out as many feelers as possible and find the sister site for Brittany a good site for getting replys - so any responses for anywhere in France would be great.

Any advice would be extremely grateful and once again, thanks to those who replied last time.

Regards

Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by me_2003 - 14 years ago

try eurocopter in toulon or airbus in tolouse...for your husband...

otherwise monaco is best for office type jobs...

anything is possible...

i know someone that was backpacking though nice and now has a full-time office job and two part-time jobs..developing software and managing holiday rental flats...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Twilight-186781 - 14 years ago

Go for yachting, its tax free (unofficially) and its very easy to find stewardess work in my experience if you are determined and demonstrate you are really good they keep calling you back.

As long as you are flexible, thorough, able to get on with people easily and willing to work in confined spaces and not use your brain much.

The pay ranged from 80-120 euros a day for an 8 hour day.

A typical day consisted of ironing, laundry, vacuuming, dusting, cleaning toilets, scrubbing decks and even varnishing. They expect a very good job to be done though.

Good luck!