DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

English tape DVD rental

Posted by shaunjarvis - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Doug-181340 - 14 years ago

Rosetta,

quote:and the 24 hr drop-off sounds handy

Careful with that one. We got caught out the first time: it's only possible to return discs to the machine that have been rented out from the machine. If you rent from inside the shop, then one has to return it back to the counter in the shop... It seems a bit silly really, but that's the way it is!

Sorry no image available
Posted by rosetta-185721 - 14 years ago

Thanks, but I'm in Nice. I guess any DVD rental will do as most have English language options. French subtitles would be good too - would help with my French!

Sorry no image available
Posted by buzzf - 14 years ago

You can rent DVD's or tapes from Geoffreys of London.

Sorry no image available

Thanks Doug - that's close enough and the 24 hr drop-off sounds handy - will give them a try.

cheers,
Ro

Sorry no image available
Posted by Doug-181340 - 14 years ago

Rosetta,

We go to the Space Laser Disc on rue Gioffredo. I can't remember the number, but it's just behind the Lycee.

(Click here for an approximate location)

They're always friendly, have a reasonable selection of films and a machine for 24hr access too. By the way, they only rent DVDs - no video tapes.

French films that we've watched and enjoyed:

Jean de Florette - classicManon des Sources - classicLe Bossou - A reet good swashbucklerCyrano de Bergerac - Subtitles translated by Anthony BurgessAmilie - Splendid!Taxi - Luc Besson on speed

Bought on last trip to London but still to watch:

La Reine MargotLes Amants du Pont-Neuf

Sorry no image available

Does anyone know a good DVD rental place in Nice? Preferably the old Town, but anywhere central would be fine.

thanks!

Sorry no image available
Posted by shaunjarvis - 14 years ago

Berocca, Definately Mannon des Source and Jean de Florette. Excuse my French. Many thank to you all for replying and the advice. Never had any joy on my laptop changing language and with certain types of DVD who cares anyway if you know what I mean wink wink nudge nudge say no more? I had meant to ask if anyone knew of a book store or swap that had books in English available. Hard work this sitting about looking for it (work).

Sorry no image available
Posted by shaunjarvis - 14 years ago

Berocca, Definately Mannon des Source and Jean de Florette. Excuse my French. Many thank to you all for replying and the advice. Never had any joy on my laptop changing language and with certain types of DVD who cares anyway if you know what I mean wink wink nudge nudge say no more? I had meant to ask if anyone knew of a book store or swap that had books in English available. Hard work this sitting about looking for it (work).

Sorry no image available
Posted by berocca - 14 years ago

On a similar theme. I am a member of video future, i often rent movies and select the english language preference (with french subtitles to help me practise!!) but i have found that i can only rent american/english VO movies.I would really like to watch more french produced movies but very few that i have found have english subtitles. Does anyone know if there is somewhere I can find more french movies? or suggest some good ones to watch?cheers bec

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 14 years ago

As davidl says, most DVDs come with a variety of language tracks. This means that wherever you rent your DVD from, the most that you're likely to have to do is to go into the audio menu of the DVD and select 'English' if it isn't the default (and perhaps switch the subtitles off too).Geoffreys in Antibes rent out DVDs (regions 1 and 2).