DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

exploitation, is it or isn't it

Posted by peter57-190654 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

I am working on a 6 month contract at the airport,  during  the Summer period, (35 hours per week) in the heat and with lots of very hard work,and very un social hours for 1050 euros a month, I thought it was better than nothing, especially here, oh and icludes nearly every weekend, they are pleased with my work, my contract runs out the end of Oct, so I decided to see the boss and ask him for the next contract to be a permanant one, he said it is not our policy to offer you full time when you have only been here 6 months, it will take longer than that to work out if you are suitable (they do this with every one) I know that in the UK the policy was 13 weeks and they had to offer the employee a full time contract or get rid of them, he has also said any future  part time contracts will be based upon a 30 hour week, which is less money than what I am on, I said you will never cope with all the work, he said we will have to take more people on!!! I can not see the logic, as this will result in more safety clothing they have to issue, more admin cost, more social charges, and a lot of under paid people, I need a full time contract so I can get a mortgage, I have sold my house in the UK  , I am begining to wish I hadn't. I feel that they are abusing the workers and taking advantage of there needs for employment.

Is it exploitation or not, surley after 6 months they should know if am the suitable person for the job

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by K22 - 11 years ago

Hi....

I have a question....

I've been working on a CDD for 11+ months which end s the end of this month (contract was renewed once)

Problem is that the contracting company I work for will not give me a CDI, even though the post I fill still exists and ontop of all that, they plan to repace me with another CDD (who has never been employed by this company on any type of contract before  i.e. >brand new employee)

I have a feeling that this is completely unfair to me as my work here has never been called into question and I believe that I am entitled to a CDI when my post continues to exist and when there is no disciplinary or financial reason to replace me with another CDD person.....

Anyone got any advice???

Thanx in advance

K

Sorry no image available
Posted by polly123-208215 - 12 years ago

have specific question relating to this topic. If I choose not to sign another CDD when the first one expires will I be entitled to unemployment benefit? The reasons I'm thinking of not signing are that I would like to look for another job due to salary not covering outgoings but under the new CDD the notice period i would have to give is so long that looking for another job isnt realistic. I'm pretty confident I could find another job but if the worst came to the worst.....

My CDD mentions 'seasonal work' even though my employer uses the CDD to cover a trial period. essentially I'm wondering if i can claim benefits even if I turn down a contract...i think in the UK you can do this a couple of times before you become unentitled to benefits, for example if the salary doesn't cover outgoings.  

Pol

Sorry no image available
Posted by Admin-179828 - 13 years ago

Let's stay on topic, please. This is not a general discussion of the pros and cons of the 35-hour week. It has a specific subject regarding the rights a worker has at the expiry of a CDD.

Thank you.

-----
Forums Administration

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme-197181 - 13 years ago

I think the idea behind the 35 hour limit was this:  if person A works all the hours God sends, he/she prevents person B from working at all.  Limit the working hours and 2 people have to be employed instead of just one in order to get the job done.  Very commendable and a tad idealistic!  It may have worked if social charges paid by companies were lowered too, after all, if they employ 2 people instead of one they have to pay 2 peoples' charges.  So it didn't work.  Unfortunate, because it's not really fair that some people get no family life due to the long hours they work, whereas other are desperate for a job - a massive rethink of the way society works (or doesn't!) is called for.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

Yes, Peter, your argument is absolutely sound in the context of a normal, open,  capitalist economy,  which is the only model that has been proven to be sound and to benefit those who wish to work and better themselves.

Sadly, France is a protectionist environment which bars free enterprise.

The good news is that you can benefit from it in the same way that the natives do,  by taking a 'sicky' when you have a headache, running to the doctor for a kilo of medication when you have a sore throat, and so on, taking extended sick leave for 'stress' and 'harassment', etc. An EDF employee has just written a book about this but I am sure some of your French colleagues could point you in the right direction, notwithstanding your comment in another thread that most of them are hard workers.

Sorry no image available
Posted by peter57-190654 - 13 years ago

Thanks Tony I uderstand your thoughts, when I say 950, that was approx, as for the cdi they are going from 37.5 to 35 hrs per week, I think this goverment want there bumps checking to say you must work 35 hrs, and no more, what has happened to freedom?  I am quite new to this system of working practice, but surley if a person wants to earn more then why should some idiot dictate what he or she can't do, for the managers it must be a nightmare,surley productivity creates wealth and from there gives us all more money to buy products to gain more employment.

But I am only a dummy Brummie

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

Even so, going from 35 hours to 30 hours for 100EUR less means that your hourly rate has gone up.

One problem for employers at the moment is that it looks as if the 35 hour rule may be relaxed.  In that case the existing employees are likely to agree to work longer hours for more pay, so employers are wary about engaging extra CDI staff who may become redundant shortly.

1000 EUR per month is about the norm for manual jobs in France.  You asked about working as a HGV driver, but the average salary for a HGV driver is still only about 1200 EUR.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by peter57-190654 - 13 years ago

Thank you every one for your comments, I saw one of the big bosses , and asked the question surley after 5-6 months you can see if I am suitable for the job, his answer was not at all we have had people here for 12 months, perfectly good workers, once we give them the contract they change completley, I said I have references from previous employees, he doesn't want to know, the contract will be based on 30 hrs and the pay!!950  euro per month, I think I will be lucky to buy a 2 bedroom tent on that wage.  All I want is a fair days pay for a HARD days work.maybe if the contract says 30 hours then I stick rigid to those hours, some nights we can have delays, and been the person I am I stay until way after my finishing time, one night I stayed until 12.15 am my official time is 10.00am but if I leave then this means there is only one guy to see to the departure, but as usual bosses only see what you do wrong, not what you do right

Sorry no image available
Posted by reinrev5 - 13 years ago

Peter,

Try ringing these people, only in French of course.

Syndicat C.G.T

Hôpital Ste Marie 87 av Joseph Raybaud 06300 NICE                 Tel = 04 93 92 46 01
and please don't forget that you will be dealing with volunteer workers. I'll repeat to be perfectly clear they don't get one cent for helping you out. Eventually if you go to court and they represent you there they usually ask that you take a Union Card.

Good Luck - Reinrev

Sorry no image available
Posted by Montana99 - 13 years ago

Try this  0 825 88 58 78 it's the Centre d'Information et d'Inspection sur la législation du Travail in Nice (sorry, it'll be in French).  Otherwise, the number for L'inspection du Travail MUST be up in plain site on a bulletin board somewhere on the worksite - this is French law. 

They should be able to answer any and all questions concerning contracts, and when the CDD must become a CDI as well as your rights in the matter.  They are NOT affiliated with any unions (so are not politically inclined).

Jobs are few and far between in France and the employers know that if you aren't happy with the low pay or the precarious situation, they'll NEVER be at a lose for replacement personnel.  The next person will only be too happy to take your job (unfortunately).