DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Fibre optic internet and television packages

Posted by tazmanoute - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Depanordique - 6 years ago

You're right about NC - I had forgotten about that little trick (but the ads are big enough, though).

And you're right about all of them having an awful lot of (well-hidden) small-print. I guess it's just that I know all those details by heart, so it's not something that I think about and rarely do anything but look at the current prices.

And for your information: The effective limit for getting TV over ADSL is 4-5mbit, but Orange (unlike Free and SFR) is generally not happy about giving you the decoder unless you have 8mbit (probably to avoid complaints about the internet not working when watching TV).

Sorry no image available
Posted by tazmanoute - 6 years ago

Numericable is advertising a rate that, over a year's time, works out to €24.90 per month. 120 channels with 10 in HD, high speed internet up to 30 Méga, illimited telephone towards mobiles and fixed phones in France + 60 destinations. Sounds good, huh?

This is advertised as an internet only offer yet when I enter in my address (only a few blocks from their shop) the offer morphs to €37.90 per month and they inform me that the offer is not available at my address. So the low price is just a hook to get you interested.

All the big internet providers advertise their triple-play packages but generally neglect to tell you things if you're too far from the DSLAM to get TV service and allow you to figure that out yourself. This is the kind of thing I was referring to.

Sorry no image available

Well, their web sites are aimed at consumers that just want to have an internet connection, so I guess I can't really blame them for being unclear there. I haven't seen anything misleading, though.

Do you have any examples of that "funny business"? The only thing I can think of is Orange, which tend to have various offers where for the first X months you only pay Y€, but then hide the "real" price using small type.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tazmanoute - 6 years ago

Thank you for a clear explanation! The web sites of the companies providing fibre optic are unclear and dare I say "misleading"?

There is also some "funny business" going on in general regarding their offers with them displaying a wonderful price, whether in the newspaper, on billboards or on their web sites but then when you enter in your address suddenly the cost is much higher with no explanation!

Sorry no image available

You are right that NC would be your best bet if you just want to have it working as fast as possible, since they're already in your apartment.
To get fibre with any of the other providers, the building will have to be installed first. And if the coproprieté hasn't yet signed any agreement, then it may take more than six months (from the date of signing the chosen operator has six months to do the installation).

Ignoring NC, here's (roughly) how the French fibre rollout works:

There are two parts to a fibre installation: The horizontal and the vertical.
The horizontal is the cabling out in the street, and the various operators (Orange, SFR and Free mainly) put it down as and when they see fit.
The vertical is the in-building cabling and is installed by an operator (Orange, SFR or Free) chosen by the copropriété. The agreement is voted on at the assemblée générale, and the syndic takes care of the paper-work, after which the operator has six months to do it. Notice that who does the installation has no bearing on who you then choose to subscribe with later.
Once the building is installed you can then (in theory) order fibre service with any of the operators that also has cable in the street. Notice that I said in theory, as they prefer to connect the buildings where they also did the installation, but that should change soon enough.

NC does not pull fibre all the way into the building (not yet, anyway), but uses existing copper or coax for the last stretch. This still gives very decent speeds, but of course nowhere near the theoretical limits of pure fibre.

Well, that's effectively it, but if you ant more details or help you can contact me directly.