DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

figures for anglophone community

Posted by geraldine-183073 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0

i am doing a survey and would like to know if anyone can tell me where i can find out the figures for anglophone community living on the french riviera (permanent residents), i mean by nationalities (english, irish, scottish, australian, norwegian..).i have already tried "insee"(the french statistic organism) but without success, they have a classification from 1998 and divided by "european union" and "non eu".thanks,geraldine

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by geraldine-183073 - 15 years ago

thanks to everyone for their help. all advice very useful.geraldine

Sorry no image available
Posted by K98 - 15 years ago

Response to private message sent to me by e-mail:

AI = AngloINFO - the site that you've been using.
RIV RAD = Riviera Radio.
There is also Radio International of which I know very little because I'm not able to receive it.

Sorry for the jargon.

There are a whole bunch of ex-pat publications down here - some better than others. They are listed in the AngloFILE at this link. For a more subjective view, check out this link on AngloINFO forums and look at the contribution by 'stirrer'. It's a bit old now, but still about right apart from the Gazette comments. It was right at the time, but The Gazette seems to have settled down and is not too bad these days.

K98

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 15 years ago

MikeP - you're still sitting with numbers that have no real statistical value. Depending on your assumptions and how you do your sums (and I've done a lot of these sums with varying assumptions and all the data I can get my hands on), you can come up with a perfectly "legitimate" figure of c.80,000 anglophone residents, or an equally "legitimate" one of c.250,000 anglophone residents.

The true figure? Well, it is probably somewhere in between those two figures... :-)

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

You may also get some stats from the Consular authorities,  which will be low as very few people bother to register with their consulates.

I'd guess that if you take the average of the inflated figures provided by the media, and the understated figures which you may get from the Consulates,  you'd closer to reality.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anusha-181570 - 15 years ago

Or esle contact english yellow pages in Antibes.. they have the stats in their advertising pack too... tell em U want to advertise on the back page or something.. They'll be all over you like a sore rash 

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 15 years ago

As SirLurkalot points out, there are a number of "non-resident residents" here. How many? Nobody knows, so we have to guess - although if it we were to put a number in a media pack we'd probably use the passive-voice phrase "it is estimated that..." rather than "we guess...", to imply that it was someone else's guess, and based on something more than a thumb-suck.

(Of course, the reverse is true of Monaco, where there are more residents than there are people actually living there)

Other problems:

What is "the French Riviera"? According to some official bodies in the Alpes-Maritimes it excludes the Var, while others would say it is, in essence, the Alpes-Maritimes, the Var and Monaco.What is a "permanent resident" (assuming the possession of a titre de séjour is not required for our definition)? There are a lot of people in the region who effectively live in two (or more) places spending, perhaps, six months on the Riviera and six months in Sweden - in which country (if any) are they "permanent"?Even if you decide to go with the official carte-de-séjour figures, when available, are they accurate? For example: there is a great deal of "people churn" in the region, and how many people really do bother to go to the Préfecture to hand in their carte de séjour when they leave?

In the end, it all comes down to guesses.

Finally, one other point on the original question: English and Scottish people may come from different countries, but they share a nationality.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by SirLurkalot - 15 years ago

I'd be interested in the figures, but of course they have to be treated with great caution.  As well as the overestimates which are to be expected, there will be people like the Lurkalot household who are unlikely to appear in the statistics.  We prefer to pay UK tax.

Sorry no image available
Posted by english_man - 15 years ago

can anyone post the results of the survey please so that we might all be informed.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jjrking - 15 years ago

Cunning, K98 - and exactly what I would have done!

Sorry no image available
Posted by K98 - 15 years ago

Top Tip:

Send a message to all English language media in this area saying you want to advertise. (Riv Rad, English Yellow Pages - even AI by golly!)Get them to send you their advertisers pack. This should contain some demographics of their target audiences.Collate them using some reasonable statistical model (any professional researchers out there please?)Half the numbers you end up with.

Hey presto! A figure within an order of magnitude. Not very good, but maybe better than a dartboard guess.