DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Finding an english speaking person at France Telec

Posted by voggers - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

If you start by speaking to them in pathetic French (even if your French is really not that bad) they will probably be happy to have the opportunity to prove to you that they speak English better than you speak French.  It's a win-win situation. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 13 years ago

I once called France Telecom when they sent an installation person to MY apartment instead of to a rental apartment a few blocks away. The person I got when I called FT switched to English when I started explaining the problem to him in French, but it appears he didn't understand the English very well either, as the next day the same guy turned up at my apartment AGAIN, in spite of him having called FT the day of the original screw up as well! Luckily, the installation guy was as fed up as I was and took it upon himself to simply go to the correct apartment, install the phone line and then phone them and explain what had happened.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I agree that you should just start in French and see if they feel sorry for you and switch to English. It might take more than one try.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by LoriMansour - 13 years ago

I agree.  When I first moved here and didn't speak ANY French, each time I called FT, I started in pathetic French and then they spoke a bit of English.  All my questions were answered.  I find that a lot of folks here speak some English, just not much and not well, so they don't want to embarrass themselves.  Just keep trying, but I agree with the earlier post.  Start with some French or simply have someone who speaks French call for you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ian81-188951 - 13 years ago

I have found FT's staff to be mainly helpful and with good Englsih skills particularly if you start in 'broken French' You could try getting a French speaking person to call on your behalf or go into your nearest agency