DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Found damp in my flat - advice please!

Posted by zoe-180327 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ivi - 13 years ago

Get your insurance onto it right away.  One insurance or other will cover it.  So my advice is to contact all of them, just a phone call will do for starters, and then they basically sort out which insurance covers them.

I would guess that you will be covered either by the Syndic's (so it wouldn't hurt to talk to them) Insurance or (less likely - unless the Coproprieté doesn't cover you) the Insurance of the people upstairs.

You will need to get quotes for repairing the work and see an expert from the Insurance companies.  Normally you would get it all agreed, get the work done and then get reimbursed. 

Don't panic, it's all normal administration and you shouldn't be left out of pocket.  Your big job is finding good workmen, which can be er, challenging.  Good luck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by No.6 - 13 years ago

It sounds as though the pipe may be in the parties communes, as you say, in which case you should definitely contact your syndic - their insurance will cover it.

Even if it is somehow down to you, then your insurance should cover it anyway.

From what you say, it doesn't sound as though it would be down to the former owners or the flat above.  It would be if their fridge had leaked through to your flat, for example, but this is different..

Sorry no image available
Posted by No.6 - 13 years ago

It sounds as though the pipe may be in the parties communes, as you say, in which case you should definitely contact your syndic - their insurance will cover it.

Even if it is somehow down to you, then your insurance should cover it anyway.

From what you say, it doesn't sound as though it would be down to the former owners or the flat above.  It would be if their fridge had leaked through to your flat, for example, but this is different..