DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

France Telecom

Posted by Birte - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - 13 years ago

If you can read and understand French, then you can order your phone on-line - www.agence.francetelecom.com/vf/tel_maison/index.htm

click on abonnement principal and fill in the form

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

Well there are a host of alternative solutions, some of which have been suggested.

But it seems to me that the basic issue is your landlady does not want any sharing of her line so it would probably be quite the simplest option for you to ask FT for the installation of a second line (deuxième ligne) in your own name.  This has the added benefit of giving you a utility bill at the address which is a vital piece of bona fides to lots of teh French Administration.

Your charges will be ;

112 Euros installation13 Euros/month contract (with a 12 month engagement)call fees as advertised by FT, except if you use other operators through dialing pre-selection or through special calling plans.  e.g. check out www.telerabais.com for calls to Germany - mega cheap!

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

The landlady might object to having FT come and nail a second cable all around the appartment.

Why not try a callback service on the mobile?

Calling Germany from a French mobile using callback costs about 0.30€ per minute as against 0.22€ using a FT fixed phone

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by gnath - 13 years ago

Install a FreeBox(www.free.fr).

30 euro/month you get 1024/2048kbps broadband internet connection

Free television(depends on your area), and free local and national

calls in France. Calls to most European countries incl. Germany will be 3c/min

A Freebox multiplexes the existing France telecom line to create

a  virtual line(your own 08 number) on top of it which you can use for your calls.

Other numbers can dial this 08 number from another freebox free or

from normal telephones at usual rates

So whenever you call , dont use your landlord's phone, use the phone connected to your freebox set.

And receive calls on either your freebox set or your landlords telephone

BTW, it took 1.5 months for me to get a connection.

Sorry no image available
Posted by martinb-185976 - 13 years ago

When you have access to internet from the appt., you could try SKYPE (www.skype.com). They have a new system now, which enables you to call land lines or mobiles all over the world, using internet (Germany is 0,02 cts. a minute). This might be a solution.

Good Luck

MB

Sorry no image available
Posted by Birte - 13 years ago

Because I expect to call home (Germany) often and knowing me, these will not be short calls... i.e. I will get a mobile, but for long international calls a fixed line is cheaper.

Sorry no image available
Posted by scotsgirl-194444 - 13 years ago

Why not get a mobile phone? Will save you putting in a whole new phone line with a separate number.