DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

France Telecom

Posted by AudreyM-183195 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by NuttR - 14 years ago

Just another thought - if the number it was dialling was "12", that might suggest to me that it's not deliberate.  If it's just two wires "shorting" out, then it would tend to "dial" 1's and the occasional 2.  It would be less likely to dial numbers with more clicks (the length of the click being more important than the length between two clicks.)  What were the other numbers being dialled?  Importantly, the clicks cannot represent the hash and star keys on a dtmf keypad....  So if it is dialling full 10-digit numbers and/or hash/stars, then you can probably rule out a short circuit.

If it IS a short, then the phone lines in France tend to use four wires so I'm just wondering if there's some way FT could put your phone line on the other "pair" of wires as a test? 

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

I don't know what Christopher has suggested but it is probably good stuff!

A couple of things.  You don't say if you are using a cordless phone or a hard wired one.  If it is the former you may be picking up interference from other radio emitting devices around you - especially if you live in a block of flats.

If it's a cordless,  someone else in your block/area may have a phone operating on the same frequency,  and either deliberately (ie fraudulently) or inadvertently dialling out on your line.   Your bill should contain all the numbers dialled,  so tracing the calls should be easy.

It would obviously be nice if FT spoke English,  but this is not a reasonable expectation,  so you need to enlist the help of a French speaker - preferably a French person who knows their (or rather, your, rights) in such cases.

Bonne chance!  It's not an unusual problem.

Sorry no image available
Posted by NuttR - 14 years ago

Old rotary dial phones used to dial by connecting the two wires together briefly, so it sounds like you've got a short circuit somewhere on your line.  I used to have the same problem - but only when it was raining.  The FT guy came around a few times but couldn't find anything.  Eventually I happened to fill a hole in the side of the house and magically the problem disappeared...  Does any of this sound familiar / make sense?  Do you get the clicking when it's windy or raining?  I'm not sure what ChristopherL suggested, but I'd like to know myself of there's some way of localising the fault..?

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

I don't know if you're using a cordless phones, but if it's corded, sometimes the crackle is due to a worn cord which can be replaced.

A long time ago in New York, I had a similar problem with being charged for calls I didn't make. After several months, it was discovered that two lines were crossed--mine and someone else's who made many overseas calls, but I only discovered this because once my phone rang and it wasn't for me. There was another person answering on the line the caller. By asking him for his phone number, the phone company was finally able to resolve the problem.

I suggest that you sign up for France Telecom's online service (free). You can then review your bill every day as the calls are made and see if there are any new charges that you are not responsible for, which may help you get to the bottom of this.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 14 years ago

I've sent you e-mail with a suggestion.