DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

France Telecom / other

Posted by Birte - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Birte - 13 years ago

Hi and Thanks to everyone,

will check out the phoneback system. Sounds good.

As for the fixed line. I have tried to do calculations like that, but I have no idea yet how much I will be calling Germany exactly.

But regardless of the calls to Germany. Which mobile provider is the best. There are SO many different offers!

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

Hi Birte,

You may want to do a little calculation in advance to balance the callback charges against the fixed line installation charge.

Accepting Tony's rate of 0.30€ a minute for callback to your mobile, that is a whopping 0.267€ more expensive than Telerabais (at peak time) and 0.282€ more expensive in the evenings/weekends.

So, dividing the 112€ fixed line installation fee by those per minute figures, gives you ;

7 hours at peak time6.6 hours off peak

So if over the course of your stay, you make more than say 6 or 7 hours of calls to Germany, then the fixed line will pay for itself. 

Of course there are still monthly charges to pay but they are probably quite similar between a fixed line and a mobile - maybe the fixed is slightly cheaper.

On a related point: To the best of my knowledge there are no truly "toll free" numbers from mobile phones from any French operator (unlike in some other countries).  If anyone knows to the contrary, please let me know.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

On your last post I suggested using a callback service.

The way they work is that you call a number somewhere, let it ring once and then hang up.  A computer calls you back and you dial the number you want.

Because you dont place a call with your mobile, it doesnt cost anything on the mobile, you just pay the callback service with your credit card, so you can use a prepaid card in the mobile.

In general calls to anywhere Europe cost about 0.30€ a minute

For example:

http://www.phoneback.de/

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by ajeynes - 13 years ago

Orange seem to be the best as they offer 300 minutes free which includes international calls.  The catch is that they might require a 2 year contract.  I think it is normally about €40 per month.