DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Free email accessed through Outlook Express?

Posted by Steve R-187639 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 13 years ago

sorry if my humour failed to come through to you...

try a Google on +"this is not your Daddy's" and you will see that this is not at all an immature comment on you personally and you dear pater, rather it is American vernacular meaning that things aren't how they used to be.

And that is exactly what I meant. Nothing is for free any longer. Nobody can blame you for trying to get a free ride but equally you shouldn't be surprised to be asked to pay in some fashion.

P.S. Even when you receive your "free" Gmail account, you'll pay (in some fashion).  How do you think they just this week announced current year 7-fold profit increases over last year?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Steve R-187639 - 13 years ago

ChristopherL. Thanks for your succinct comments. I don't honestly think I'm asking for that much, especially as one kind person offered what I asked, albeit three months ago.

All I'm asking for is an invite to a free service.

I'm not quite sure why you have to stoop to immature comments concerning my father though I am quite sure that where he is he is unable to help with such problems, more's the pity.

Sorry no image available
Posted by danonimes-184717 - 13 years ago

been accesssing my free hotmail account all night, via Outlook. J

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 13 years ago

quote:So then, Gmail?quote:Will it work through OE? Can someone give me a simple "yes" or "no" answer...

Yes.

settings are pop.gmail.com & smtp.gmail.com

You seem to want quite a lot for free.  I know you have been used to it in the past but this is no longer your Daddy's Internet.  Offer something concrete and you'll find a gmail invite in your mailbox (assuming you still have a mailbox to send it to).

Sorry no image available
Posted by ejh - 13 years ago

I use Yahoo mail and to get POP access I had to pay like $9.99 a year. When I pay that, I also get no adverts on the bottom of my email.

You can bitch about 10 bucks a year, but that seems to be the way it is for extra services on free email accounts.

I could use my wannado or work email with POP, but when I move from France, both those will be changing. I prefer Yahoo as no matter where in the world I am, it is a constant address. I prefer Yahoo over Hotmail cause I don't want to use microsoft.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Steve R-187639 - 13 years ago

Thought I'd exhume this old posting...

Hotmail has today finally stopped allowing me to access it through Outlook Express. The Hotmail 'help' pages now clearly say that for me to continue being able to access through OE I have to upgrade at a cost of $19.95 per account per year - haven't checked the English price but assume £15, to quote myself from earlier in this discussion. Apparently the only way that they (who are they? The wizards?) can do something about spam is by having my credit card details.

I've written a very strong email to the wizards giving them three options:

give me back my normal accessupgrade both my accounts for free and forever and ever amensend me a check (they're in the States) to cover the cost of buying a new email package as I refuse to have anything more to do with Microsoft (don't tell them that I'm still using XP)

Now I hope that Willy Gates is having pasta for tea tonight so that he can save enough to reimburse me but in reality, I suspect I'm going to get nowhere.

So then, Gmail?

Will it work through OE? Can someone give me a simple "yes" or "no" answer as I'm not sure what all these pop3 things mean.

If it will work and I still need one, can somebody provide me with an invite or two? If you do, I'll send you $39.90. Not really. An invite would be nice though.

This never happened on my old ZX81.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lilith-199307 - 13 years ago

thankyou for your reply and link.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 13 years ago

quote:i was interested in 'legends' posting and was wondering how i can retrieve SP1a. please help....id=quote>Hi,Have a look here:http://riviera.angloinfo.com/forum/link.asp?topic_ID=32794

Sorry no image available
Posted by jamesh19 - 13 years ago

I, too, have been happily gmailing for a while now - seems to be really good stuff - anybody wants an invite : email me with first name, last name and e-mail address

cheers

Sorry no image available
Posted by lillith - 13 years ago

hi.  i too have been unable to get msn.messenger, hotmail etc since a virus necessitated upgrading my computer (at great expense) this week.  i was interested in 'legends' posting and was wondering how i can retrieve SP1a.  please help....   candy.