DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Free to view satellite: ITV, C4 & C5

Posted by Rouretan - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rouretan - 15 years ago

Thanks Carrington, for your many words of wisdom on both forum etiquette and ITV & Channel 4.

Perhaps the first person to buy the cheapy card and cancel and still get a picture could let us all know.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Brightstar-189376 - 15 years ago

So - I'm am getting very confused, but - if I subscribe to Sky via a UK address, get the card (I already have a dish and box at the place I am renting) can I view ITV and C4 again?

Yours ignorantly

Brightstar x

Sorry no image available
Posted by carrington-181725 - 15 years ago

"Dancer"

Along with many others based on the CdA,I am obliged to pay the tv licence here in France,and as well as being an EU citizen, have the right to watch anything i damned well choose,be it from France,UK or elsewhere; Nobody on these forums has stated words to the effect of it being a "protected human right" to watch Sky,such daft comments only serve to highlight and bring in to sharper focus your own ignorance and limited knowledge of the subject at hand;The individual was only asking for advice,not a lecture,surely if you haven't anything constructive to add then perhaps you could kindly refrain from littering the forums.Last thing we all need is some armchair advocat with a tired and tried rant sending us all of to noddy land with weary lines we've already heard time and time again..

PDG,

If you take a cheap one month sub and then cancel,you should still be able to view all the free to air channels with the exception i believe of channel five.As they are "free" with the Sky card.The card has to be one of the newly issued ones also (with the house on the card),otherwise it's due to be switched off in the coming days/weeks.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Brightstar-189376 - 15 years ago

Moving north is a bit drastic!  Problem I have, as I am renting at the moment, but probably not for too much longer, I am reluctant to spend a lot of money.  Today BBC is OK, but it comes and goes - a bit like the sun.  Where is that sun today?  It seems hotter than ever, but heavy and cloudy!  No chance now with ITV etc - that pop-up screen is worse than any computer virus!  I am very concerned about missing Corrie.

Brightstar x

Sorry no image available
Posted by David_F-180946 - 15 years ago

PDG,

I would be a bit suspicious of the assurance that "the card can be cancelled and you get to keep the card that allows one to watch ITV, C4 & C5 for free."

I have an expired subscription card, along with thousands of others (in the UK also). If what you're told is true then it's exactly as you say, a rip-off as technically there's no difference and no reason to turn us off.

Brightstar - same here, getting progressively worse, obviously some tweeking going on. A bigger dish is your only answer I think( or move north like me)

DF

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

Dancer

I agree with PDG on this.

He has a UK TV licence which allows him to watch BBC - it is not illegal to do so outside the UK.

It is however illegal to watch the Sky movie channels outside UK for copyright/distribution reasons.  It's also illegal to exceed the speed limit or use a cellphone whilst driving - to use your motoring analogy.  Could you look me in the eye and claim never to have broken the law?  No,  I thought not.

The issue of a licence is irrelevant in the context of ITV,C4,C5

There is a European law that no-one is allowed to deprive a person of access to TV/Radio from their home country.  On that basis, some syndics have been forced to allow tenants to put up satellite dishes.

I realise that you are probably playing devil's advocate here,  but your attitude comes over as bordering on sanctimonious.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dancer-180182 - 15 years ago

not missing the point. not misinformed

* you're not allowed to watch Itv, C4 and C5 without a licence. revenue is irrelevant. i'm talking about legality of access

* your uk tv licence does not allow you to watch british tv outside the uk. nothing does, legally, so the fact that you have one is about as relevant as you having a uk fishing licence

you may not want to watch french tv in france but so what? you may not want to wear a seatbelet but you do because it is the law. what makes tv different?

Sorry no image available

You are misinformed and are completely missing the point Dancer,

1. I do have a UK television licence.

2. Many people in UK will also be deprived of digital satellite TV reception (unless they now buy a new terrestial receiver)

3. ITV, C4 & C5 gain their revenue from advertising not the TV licence.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dancer-180182 - 15 years ago

> I don't want to watch Skym Sport or American Films or
> 1960 English sitcoms

if you were in the uk where the Bbc and Itv can legally broadcast then you could watch them "for free" (after paying a big licence fee) by simply sticking bunny ears on your tv.

but you're not.

you're trying to do something that is possibly illegal and certainly a breach of contract and then bitching because it will cost you less than the licence fee that uk viewers have to pay

doesn't make much sense

and it isn't a protected human right to watch tv from the country you once lived in, you know

Sorry no image available

That is quite normal as the BBC has changed it's footprint and is a bit fussier to get: watch out for trees that didn't matter before.

Incidently I have been told by the Skym rip-off merchants that the minimum fee of £12 per year has been "reduced" by 50% as an "introductory offer" and after a year (£72) the card can be cancelled and you get to keep the card that allows one to watch ITV, C4 & C5 for free.

It is a complete con: I don't want to watch Skym Sport or American Films or 1960 English sitcoms!!