DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

French bank account for non resident?

Posted by PaulS-192815 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Hello

Can anyone tell me - is it possible to open a French Bank Account while residing in UK?

I have been told you need a residence certificate - is that true.

I have a French property and would like a local account to write cheques from - as it costs quite a lot from a UK Euro account.

PaulS

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by PaulS-192815 - 14 years ago

Thanks for all your imput - I now have the CA Britline info pack and will look into that as well as trying some of the local branches mentioned.

Best regards

PaulS

Sorry no image available
Posted by wthompson555 - 14 years ago

Try Banque Populaire. They also speak English. I am a non-res as well, and have an account since 3 years

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

Try Credit Commercial de France (CCF ) Antibes - hooked up with and owned by HSBC !stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by NGS - 14 years ago

BNP Paribas 68 rue d'Antibes, Cannes is set up for overseas customers. We had no problem and they are always very helpfulNGS

Sorry no image available
Posted by AbbieR - 14 years ago

We opened an account 4 years ago at Credit Lyonnais in Nice. They have advisors who will deal specifically with non-residents (beats standing in the queue too!) I think all we took along were passports, driving licences and utility bills for our English address. We had a carte bleue, cheque book, statements all sent tou our English address.

Sorry no image available
Posted by srikanth-182535 - 14 years ago

Its possible.

I have had it a while ago with Societe Generale at Place Bermond, Sophia Antipolis. I am now a resident though.

Sorry no image available
Posted by peterm-189685 - 14 years ago

Peter M

Sorry no image available
Posted by peterm-189685 - 14 years ago

You can open a French bank account from UK using Credit Agricole ( Britline ) . They speak good English and you can access your account online .Peter M

Sorry no image available
Posted by Black Cat-192495 - 14 years ago

Plenty of non-residents have French bank accounts so it must be possible. Ask at a branch that's likely to already have non-resident customers and they should know how it works. Towns like Valbonne, Antibes and Biot have zillions of non-resident homeowners.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gileseboy - 14 years ago

Well it worked fine for me last year.

It took me about half an hour with the branch manager to open the account. Societe Generale, I've read some dreadful stuff about them - among others- on AI threads, but in my case they've been very good.

Take along as much documentation as you can muster, inc utility bills or if it is a recent purchase perhaps the sale docs.

Good luck.