DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

French Cheques

Posted by OTWO - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rouretan - 14 years ago

French cheques are valid for 12 months and it is "illegal" to post date them.

In fact you are entitled to cash a post dated cheque, but not one more than twelve months old.

Why not just leave the account open with the exact amout of money in it until it is cleared?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rouretan - 14 years ago

French cheques are valid for 12 months and it is "illegal" to post date them.

In fact you are entitled to cash a post dated cheque, but not one more than twelve months old.

Why not just leave the account open with the exact amout of money in it until it is cleared?

Sorry no image available
Posted by OTWO - 14 years ago

and if the cheque is presented after the account is closed?

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

I understand that the date on a French cheque is immaterial and that there is no limit on validity.

I would suggest that if you take the sensible course of action outlined above,  you write to the agent 'recommandee' and warn them of your intended action and give them a time limit to cash the cheque, otherwise you could, if you owe them the money, find yourself with problems.

Alternatively you could simply tell them that you have stopped the cheque as you assumed it had been lost,  as you could not believe that any business could be so inefficient as to hang to a cheque for 5 months!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tallben-185282 - 14 years ago

hi, i am pretty sure that French Cheques are valid one FULL year. French businesses seam to take ages to cash cheques, i suggest contacting the bank and telling them that you have an outstanding cheque and ask them to cancel it ( will cost about 30€) before you close the account. This way the dude that's stupid looses out and the bank (and you) don't. Banks have HUGE power if cheques bounce etc so the best is to be honest.