DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

french electrical plugs - advice please

Posted by lephanie - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 15 years ago

Ah ...a topic close to my heart. Yes you have discovered the rich vein of French life. With tons of kudos and respect to AI, my telling you how to wire a plug goes no way towards the experience you have just had and the friends you have made. Fantastic!

Boy have I got stories like yours like; "How a puncture leads to a Sweetcorn Tin high-powered rifle shooting competition at 3am?" or "A Sanglier just hung himself on your Olive Tree" or "My screwdriver is broken...can I borrow your hatchet?"

Regards,

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 15 years ago

I'll second that - a great happy ending !!stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by C J Flynn - 15 years ago

I would like to nominate this thread as one of the best of 2003, and one that should be archived in case someone, many years from now, needs proof that there was at one time, perhaps only for a few brief moments, civilization on planet earth.Thanks for the story Steph.Happy holidays,c J Flynn

Sorry no image available
Posted by lephanie - 15 years ago

Thank you azurienne et al.  I went to my local bar with the bit of the plug containing the "plots" and a screwdriver and was inundated with offers of help. During my second coffee a young English guy arrived trying to find out about buses to St Tropez today. The bar man referred him to me to translate for him - Craig turned out to be an electrician with lots of plumbing experience who has just got a job here. Most of the bar adjourned to my place for tea, coffee, wine and so forth. The machine was sorted out by a variety of chaps, Craig hit it off with my daughter and they've just left for St Trop, on my daughters scooter, to get his mum a Christmas present. The washing machine is humming through its' first load and I'm off back to the bar ................. Sorted, many thanks.Steph

Sorry no image available
Posted by azurienne - 15 years ago

The thingies, where you put the wires, are generally referred to in English as terminals and in French as plots.  Hope this helps when you need to shop.

Sorry no image available

Morning Mike - you don't sound the least bit pompous, just caring.  Thank you for your offer - I'm not near Valbonne but I will ask one of my French neighbours  this morning. I am confident with English electrical matters, its just the first time that I've had to attach a French plug and the internal fittings of the thing (plus the absence of a fuse) confused me as you have seen.

Thank you all again for your replies and concern.

Steph

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

Steph

I don't want to sound 'pompous' but ... if you are not sure how to tackle this job - and there is no shame attached to not knowing how to do it - please DON'T.  Doing it incorrectly could have catastrophic results (fire or electric shock).  It probably won't as your earth leakage board should protect, but electricity is dangerous,  especially where water is involved.

Please ask someone to do it for you.  If you are reasonably near Valbonne I'll happily do it myself.

Sorry no image available

Dear Renrev and Mike  -  thank you or your advice.  I've got a round plug with a home for earth, but not one with a ring to pull it out, but I saw them - so I will follow your advice on that, Mike, and get one of those.

BUT... how do I secure the earth wire?  The little holes and screws for the blue and brown are the same as English plugs, but the earth place is just a screw, passing through a brass plate and secured with a square washer - where do I put the wire? Between the brass plate and the washer?

Thanks again,

Steph

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 15 years ago

You'll have to go back and buy a new plug, making sure it has a hole in it for the earth pin. Connect the earth to that. Try to buy a plug with a plastic ring on it for pulling it out as French plugs are notoriously difficult to get out once in, and the cable clamps are not the best so to avoid pulling out the wire when reMoving a difficult one, buy the finger pull type.

regards

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by reinrev5 - 15 years ago

There are two main types of French electrical plugs, flat two pin  and round two pin + hole for the earth plugs. French plugs do not have a fuse incorporated in them.

These two main types of plugs can be found virtually anywhere, including local supermarkets.

Reinrev