DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

French language course run my the State?

Posted by gillian.crossley-179878 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about the French courses run by the State.

I know there used to be something in Sophia Antipolis but I can't find any information.

Gillian Crossley

Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 13 years ago

The person in my class that was sent by the Immigration Dept. is doing the same course as those of us who are very fluent. The sole difference being the route by which we arrived--Immigration or ANPE. Because she came in towards the end of the course, she gets to resart it with the next group, which will also be a mixed bag as to levels. The quality of the instruction depends on how good the teacher is and where one is sent, which is determined by town of residence.

Gillian, I had replied to you by e-mail, but it was rejected by your server.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by dualdraco - 13 years ago

Hey Gillian,

Perhaps this is some useful info.  I just recently got my carte de sejour.  As part of the process I had to go to Office Des Migrations Internationales, in the Nice Matin building complex across from the Charles Ehrmann Sports Parc off Route de Grenoble.  It's not far from the Prefecture.  As part of the process, if you agree to sign their "Welcome Contract," the State offers 200-500 hours of French instruction.  But it is for beginners--those who don't speak the language.  I wanted to participate, but they don't offer courses to folks who just want to improve their language skills.  You can contact OMI at 04 92 29 49 00 or e-mail: nice@omi.social.fr 

Hope that helps some,

DD

Sorry no image available
Posted by agnes-188419 - 13 years ago

There are courses at the Polytechnic in Antibes..it's opposite the maison des jeunes near the Indian resturant..it's about 5€ to register. Otherwise the maison runs courses once a week for 60€ a term for beginners and intermediates. You have to go on Sat 18th to register for these courses and it's a bun fight!

Good luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 13 years ago

There's one programme for non-French speaking immigrants such as the wives of French nationals, for instance, who don't speak any French. Those classes are not remunerated, though they are free as far as I know. There's another programme for people who are unemployed, where you are paid a modest amount to attend and must do a two-week "stage" in a business as part of the course. In either case you attend the same classes which are not grouped according to level of proficiency.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by gillian.crossley-179878 - 13 years ago

Hi,
Thanks for the reply - what I mean by "the State" is that I don't want to be paying for a private school.

I had understood that there was a directive in France to provide French lessons to immigrants.

Gill

Gillian Crossley

Sorry no image available
Posted by gillian.crossley-179878 - 13 years ago

Hi,
Thanks for the reply - what I mean by "the State" is that I don't want to be paying for a private school.

I had understood that there was a directive in France to provide French lessons to immigrants.

Gill

Gillian Crossley

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

what exactly do you mean when you say "run by the State"?  There have been a few postings here about ANPE sponsored French courses (you are paid to attend).  Is that the sort of thing you mean?