DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Frustrated with Assedic!

Posted by SJ-190944 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

I finally decided to take the plunge and register with Assedic today.  It is not far from me, so I went in to the office, which was lovely and new and quiet, with a charming young lady working at the front desk.  I was given a piece of paper with a phone number on it (which says it's easier to register from home - but I had already driven down there!) and was told that I had to register by phone.  After completing my errands and appointments, I went home and phoned.  All the agents were busy and, after a few minutes, the message advised me to phone again later.  I phoned again later and they were closed, with a message giving their hours (9 - 3:15).  Now tell me why this was supposed to be easier than simply registering at the office while I was there?!!

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by cristina_75-200498 - 12 years ago

Somone there hwo has an idea about getting a chomage from the Assedic?I'm from not from the EU countries,and i'm married with a French.cristina

Sorry no image available
Posted by SJ-190944 - 13 years ago

I'm sure I'm not entitled to financial benefits and I'm not looking to get any.  I just want to get a job and am finding it hard, so I was advised to sign up with Assedic in order to be able to benefit from all the offers that ANPE has and possibly be able to take a French course.  Of course, so far I'm finding that my French is "good enough" not to qualify for a course, but not good enough to get a job.  I will keep trying, though.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Shrek 2-196274 - 13 years ago

if you have ever experienced the dole/unemployment in the UK the French system is 100% better. In the Uk I felt totally downgraded and it was a very depressing place and it was very negative, however in France I have my own advisor who I can see at any time and does actually try to help you get a job or a retraining package FYI if your french is not up to standard they will, at the govt expense, send you on a course to improve your french.

Sorry no image available
Posted by alx-189416 - 13 years ago

Assedic - the French dole office.

I have been on their books for 5 months now.

They work very closely with the ANPE and I had a letter from the ANPE saying please drop in to see a councillor without an appointment. When I arrived I was asked why I had not made an appointment but after insisting I was able to see someone within 30 minutes. I think they are on a par with the Assedic efficiency wise...

Having said that, once I got onto the books all I have to do is go online between on the 1st of every month, to receive as much on the 7th as when I was working a 35 hour week! crazy!

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 13 years ago

what is Assedic anyone?

Sorry no image available

The Assedic has improved greatley and if you are entitled to recieve it they are vert efficient, you can even  report your monthly declarations on line and you are paid very quickly.

However if you are someone who is not entitles to it or who has not contributed they will not put up with fools gladly, be very clear prior to going there what your rights and entitlements are. This can be viewed on line on a variety of sites and is easily accesible.

Sorry no image available

The Assedic has improved greatley and if you are entitled to recieve it they are vert efficient, you can even  report your monthly declarations on line and you are paid very quickly.

However if you are someone who is not entitles to it or who has not contributed they will not put up with fools gladly, be very clear prior to going there what your rights and entitlements are. This can be viewed on line on a variety of sites and is easily accesible.

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 13 years ago

You can also report your monthly status via the internet once you're registered and have been given your paperwork.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by meerkat-189541 - 13 years ago

When I called they told me to register in person. When I went there they told me to register by calling! So when I was there I insisted on being registered at their office. All seemed to go well, and I was entitled to money (however the lady tried very hard to persuade me I was not, but I knew my rights!). After a couple of weeks I phoned on the status of my dossier and apparantly somebody "forgot" to register me. So I went there again and made sure this time they did their work well!

Don't get angry, it is just their way of discouraging you from your rights. It has nothing to do with you not being french, it happens to a lot of people. Be patient and convincing and keep smiling.

Good luck!

Meerkat

Sorry no image available
Posted by danonimes-184717 - 13 years ago

It's easier for them ;)Stick with it, once you're registered and you start getting some money through (providing you're entitled) you can also make your declarations by phone, takes about 3 minutes per month. And, if you forget, their voice server calls you to remind you.There are some areas where the French excel.