DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Geothermique heating - any experiences?

Posted by danonimes-184717 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Looking for feedback/experiences with domestic Geothermique heating/cooling.ThanksJ

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by DeeGee-189138 - 14 years ago

Hi Dano, We are having a villa built in the Var and I was very keen to incorporate this type of heating - but building retaining walls to stop the property heading for the Med has destroyed the budget! As a result we are going for the cheaper alternative of u/floor heating with electric cables ( anyone got experience of this? Views welcome) However, I did a fair bit of research on the web and found some sites with details of Heat pumps which is how the system transforms the heat gained into warmth for your C/H system. You can check it out on www.ideesmaison.com also www.bienconstruire .com, www.construiresmaison.com and www.travaux.com. They have running cost comparison charts and constructional details etc. etc.

An idea I am going to build in is a 'Puit Canadienne' or 'Puit Provencale'. Working on the principal that the earth at a depth of 1.8mtrs maintains a temperature of approx. 15 degrees C a 150mm diam. tube 30mtrs long is sunk into a trench and fresh air is then pulled into the house by a small fan, thios means that during the summer when outside air temp. could be 30 you have cool air coming in and conversely during the winter months you do not have to use so much energy to heat your house from 15 as you would if you brought fresh air in at an ambient temperature of, say , 8 degrees.

Here endeth the lesson! Hope it helps

'Failure to prepare is to prepare to fail'

Sorry no image available
Posted by lespalmiers - 14 years ago

Dano,

Normal block built cloison walled house, slightly better insulated than the norm and with low emissivity glass in windows but not "futuristic".

I wonder if they got their installation "substantially reduced" as a very "special offer" available only to a strictly "limited number" of people wishing to act as a "showhouse" ?????

If its any measure of things, the salesmen had suits that were a tad too "sharp" if you catch my drift . . . . . . . . . . .

yours quizically,

Regards, Les

Sorry no image available
Posted by fish-187106 - 14 years ago

This type of heating was shown on a UK TV programme "Grand Designs" where the ex chairman of Wilkinson Sword had a one off house built. System seemed to involve pipes under the garden, about 18" or so, and a simple pump to an underfloor system. House v well insulated but probably about 350 sq m, and needed back up heating from off peak electric heaters. Said it worked v well. I'm a Chartered Surveyor and havn't come across this system to date in my working life.

Michael

Sorry no image available
Posted by danonimes-184717 - 14 years ago

thanks paris. Perhaps you can arrange an apero and I can meet them.;-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by paris-191250 - 14 years ago

Dano

You really should talk to my neighbours they've got that kind of system!

:)

Sorry no image available
Posted by danonimes-184717 - 14 years ago

Thanks for the interest so far, still waiting to hear from a first-hand user that it is all it's cracked up to be.les, like you say, if it's that good, and the grants are available, why isn't everyone doing it? Your 300 euros/year people, were they using any supplementary fuels? And what sort of house were they in? (Super-insulated, modern, south facing, glass-enclosed........ etc?)sabine, I picked up a copy of Maison & Travaux ?? which has a heating supplement this month, featuring geothermique heating (among others). I'm not sure I trust these publications, they seem to be shop fronts rather than an independent reporting medium.J

Sorry no image available
Posted by beef or salmon - 14 years ago

Looks a bit dodgy to me.Why are the pipes filled with anti freeze?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sabine-185643 - 14 years ago

I do not have this installation (living in a studio...!) but if you speak french, there will be a radio programm on geothermie next saterday on France Inter (100.4) from 2 pm to 3 pm.

and this is the main subject of magazine "Mode & Travaux" this month ... if this can help you!

Sabine

Sabine

Sorry no image available
Posted by lespalmiers - 14 years ago

I've just received an invitation to visit other installations from this company, so there are some out there!

And I've just realised i'm turning a bit French with my last reply!! (which is why they all traditionally drive Renaults etc . . . . . . . . )

More to follow . . .

regards

Regards, Les

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sally Moore-190695 - 14 years ago

I was also looking at the site. The idea sounds wonderful. I was wondering about it for some buildings we are buying for a Gite/Art holiday business but the installation costs seem to be massive as we will have a large floor area. Does anyone know of any other companies doing it for comparison?

Sally