DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Getting married in France

Posted by Tigger-191229 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Twizzel-185350 - 14 years ago

Best is to go check with your Marie as required papers vary between communes. My Marie were extremely helpful and gave me lots of help sorting out all the papers.  Good luck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Christine-180881 - 14 years ago

Dear Sean,

I got married last september to an Englishman. We were asked the following :

- full birth certificate translated in French by an official translator (the list of translators should be at your local mairie)and containing mother's maiden name (we had to go twice to the Registry Office in England to have that)

- doctor's certificate: go to your mairie and ask for a paper that your GP will have to sign (you may choose any GP). You will have to have a bloodtest. Don't worry about it, it's just a formality. It allows you and your future spouse to be aware of any disease. This certificate has to be signed by your doctor less than 6 months before the wedding.

- From the British Consulate in Nice  ask for a document poving that you're not already married.

You have to give the mairie all the above-mentioned documents less than 6 months before the wedding.

If your French is good, go to the mairie.They should give you a document telling you everything you need to know.

Hope this helps,

Christine