DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Getting rid of pigeons?

Posted by belamica-188434 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by valanne-219728 - 9 years ago

This is a very old posting but one with great fondness to talk about how i got rid of pigeons. Memories of my time spent in a fantastic apt I had but... with pigeons in the beginning!

My cat was not of any much help. (although the seagulls used to take a few away)

I had tons of pigeons when I moved into the building and they would nestle into the side of the building and squat. I took great pleasure in blasting them from a distant with a "Super Soaker" imported from abroad. Also a laser pen works wonderfully at night to shake them up. Drives them nuts. As my hours were irregular, they were never left to settle in for the night.

I not only got rid of them from my building but took pleasure in removing them from the one across the street.

Thats my solution. CD's may help but look nasty.

always,

valanne

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nearly There-244844 - 9 years ago

The spikes on the edge of ledges works to some extent but the birds still manage to find a cosy little spot to latch on to, its probably more beneficial as a burglar deterrent.

A predator is the way to go and it works, get an imitation, a plastic goshawk or sparrowhawk strategically placed will deter pigeons and seagulls. Both are prevalent in Dubai and the large hotels use this tactic supplemented with "live"patrols 2 or 3 times a week, a nice little earner for the hawks owners. Just remember to change the position of your plastic hawk, to keep the pigeons on their toes!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tramontana-225225 - 9 years ago

I used to live in Norfolk, where now pigeons are just about the only bird sound that can be heard. One effective way to permanently getting rid of them is the shotgun, but there are always mad old biddies who actually like the filthy things and feed them in their gardens. So now there are flocks of hundreds defecating on everything.Pigeons are surprisingly smart and soon learn about any device intended to scare them. Cats are no good; the best natural predator is the goshawk, the larger relative of the sparrowhawk. I saw one once in my garden disposing of a pigeon, but this fine predator is sadly rare in that part of the world. Are they common around here?P.S. My favourite comedy music track at one point was Tom Lehrer's "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park". Now that's obsession.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Grumpy-226054 - 9 years ago

We had the most terrible trouble with pigeons. Each time we returned from a trip away, the terrace would be covered with their corrosive mess. It took ages to get it clean. However, I'm pleased to report 100% success with the following device:I screwed small eye-bolts into the wall above the patio doors and along the parapet of the opposite wall of our terrasse tropezienne. Between these eye-bolts I rigged up a spider's web of elastic cords with hooks ... the kind of cords you buy from a cycle shop (or pound shop) for attaching stuff to roof racks or cycle panniers. I got a dozen or so old CDs and drilled 4 holes in each, 2 cm from the edge. The hooks of the elastic cords fitted into the eye-bolts and into the CDs. I arranged the latter so that the reflective side was uppermost. In our case, 2 cords easily stretched across to a CD junction in the centre of the terrace. Other cords went laterally from CD to CD.The good thing is that it's possible to walk around beneath this anti-pigeon contraption. Our friend who comes to check the watering system and sweep away the leaves did not even have to stoop.When we came back this time, there was not a single dropping. The defence can be erected and removed in 5 minutes.G

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

I can't see how the owl can be the natural enemy of either pigeons or seagulls, considering how owls usually sleep during the day.  They usually feed on small mammals.

The idea is supposed to be that when the pigeons or seagulls see the owl they say

"Oh oh, There goes the neighbourhood!"

and they all move out.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by belamica-188434 - 13 years ago

TonyP: Do you know if the owl is a natural enemy of pigeons?  We had one on our boat, didn't deter the seagulls too much unfortunately. Guess we really need a falcon or something like that....

Jonboy: Thanks for the spike recommendation, already tried that and sadly, no luck.

belamica

Sorry no image available
Posted by jonboy-191946 - 13 years ago

We stayed at the Hotel Cannes Riviera recently and noted that they have anti pigeon spikes glued onto the ledges.  These are quite simple and made specifically for this purpose.  Obviously you have to deter them landing on your building and this will deflect their flight path.

Give the Cannes Riviera a ring to find their supplier.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

Paturle Accastillage in Antibes sell a lifelike model owl, 43cm high, for 32E that yachties hang in the rigging to keep seagulls away.

On the website, click catalogue, then enter 'hibou' in the search box.

Don't know if it works for pigeons, but if it doesn't, you could probably flog it half-price in the Yachting forum.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by belamica-188434 - 13 years ago

Your suggestions are good but sadly not terribly effective. We have lots of neighbor cats which wander around our property - wish they would get the pigeons, at the moment they're in the "find your partner" mode. Hunter friends have suggested wires, spikes, poison, shiny objects (no cds tho'!), catch & relocation, air guns - all tried, none really effective, they keep coming back.  Another suggestion was a movable plastic life-size falcon or similar - any hunting bird which preys on pigeons, etc. - on the roof, but haven't found any such creation yet (a taxidermist product is not an option!). Any further suggestions? 

belamica

Sorry no image available
Posted by sorcel-190657 - 13 years ago

Try hanging up som CDs (not the music type - but the ones you buy to backup data on that are all shiny).

Kathleen