DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Ghost in the Machine?

Posted by SJ-190944 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 13 years ago

quote:You may have a computer set up that is able to be turned on by external signals (like the "start on ring" via a modem or some of the more esoteric NIC wake up controls).  This would be highly unlikely for a home PC but it is just about the only explanation if the computer was starting up on its own after having been properly turned off.

This is nearly always the problem. I have seen this quite a few times when it is set to restart on an external signal - usually the phone rings, the modem reacts and wakes the PC up. You need to go into the BIOS to turn it off. (Try unplugging it from the phone line when it is off to check this.)

Unlikely that you've been hacked, though always good to make sure you have anti virus and firewall.

Sorry no image available
Posted by SINBAD-196042 - 13 years ago

You should check your security setting and use a good firewall <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Your case sound like someone is hacking your system or already did

Anyway at least check for your own safety and yeah set-up windows in a way that you have to click Ctrl+Alt+<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Del before logging on to windows

For some security checks that you can do send me an email and I will explain to you

Sorry no image available
Posted by Miss Varna - 13 years ago

I had a similar problem once on my old PC - it shut down and turned itself on again. It turned out that the power supply unit was faulty and once it was replaced, the PC was working perfectly fine again.

Sorry no image available
Posted by simonwynne - 13 years ago

If you are trying to shutdown and its fails or stops towards complete, holding the on/off button down for 5 secs plus is the norm, I call it a crashing turn off. also check in power settings to see what is being turned off as normal settings are 'never'..

perhaps to do a scan check when running smooth..

bonn chance

Simon Templer

Sorry no image available
Posted by SJ-190944 - 13 years ago

With regard to the first possibility:  I usually turn off the computer by going to "Start" and then selecting the "Shut Down" option.  I have tried, also, just pressing the on/off button on the computer to turn it off without shutting down properly.  It doesn't seem to make any difference how it has been shut down.  Perhaps it could be a faulty on/off button that is hypersensitive?

As far as the second possibility:  I would have to ask my husband when he gets back from his business trip, as this is really his computer.  Other info that might be of use is that we are not hooked up to ADSL and we have Windows XP installed, if either of those things would make any difference.

I must admit to being able to get around quite well on a computer, but when it comes to the workings of one, I'm a bit uneducated! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

2 possibilities right off the bat (one very basic, the other quite technical);

Maybe it was never really turned off and is just being awakend from standby mode by some event?  What steps do you take to turn it off?  There are many ways of doing this on modern computers and not all are guaranteed to be really "OFF".You may have a computer set up that is able to be turned on by external signals (like the "start on ring" via a modem or some of the more esoteric NIC wake up controls).  This would be highly unlikely for a home PC but it is just about the only explanation if the computer was starting up on its own after having been properly turned off.