Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Glass fire surrounds

Posted by DaveH-180933 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Does anyone know of a shop which sells / makes glass fronts (doors)  and the metal frame to fit log burning fires. Our fire is currently open fronted and not much use at present.

Any advice would be really appreciated.


Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 14 years ago

Leroy Merlin (RN202) and Castorama (antibes) both sell what you are looking for while Godin (RN202) are manufacturers and can show you quite a selection. Cheminees Philippe also do a range but I don't know where they are on the cote.

However it is not simply a cover for ou existing fire. It's a cast iron box with a glass opening door and hence is a whole new operation.

these things are brilliant, very clean and hot,hot,hot. You can add systems to heat hot water or other rooms as well. We achieved something like ten times the heat for a third of the wood over our standard big open fire.

They have to be fitted in accordance with the building code and there are strict rules governing the chimney, flue pipes etc.


Sorry no image available
Posted by Seeker-184579 - 14 years ago

Briconautes, that was, not Biconautes (Biconautes belong to another thread..)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Seeker-184579 - 14 years ago

Hi Dave,

The thing you're looking for is called 'un insert' (with a silent 't'!) in French and you can get them from fireplace shops, best found under 'cheminées d'intérieur et accessoires' in the French yellow pages on the net. 

(Unless of course Admin can come up with a listing for English-speaking Riveiera fireplace shops on AngloINFO?! J)

Biconautes, just outside Grasse, also do DIY versions, I believe.