DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Good housekeeping with pcs using XP

Posted by Tony Miller - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Hi

Let me just intro myself I have been in the IT industry for over 14 years and have worked for Rockwell and Lucent and are a full beta tester for microsoft for their home products ie win 98/me/xp and are in my late 50's, and I thought it may help some people if I just give a quick outline how you can assist and help yourself in today's world with so many viruses going around and some good housekeeing.

All the infor below is for  XP home or Pro users only, first there are some good housekeeping which will keep your computer at top level and should be carried out weekly (just like a car)

Diskcleanup cleans up your hard drive and only removes files you do not need or even know they are in your computer.

Where is it: START/ALL PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/SYSTEM TOOLS

When it has run the program will open and you have choses which boxes to tick, do not tick box 3 and the last one just push OK and it will complete its role automatically

Disk Defragmentor puts all your files inth right order (like in a filing cabinet) ti will take about 20-30 min to run, your machine will be a little quicker after this has been run.

Where is it:START/ALL PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/SYSTEM TOOLS

Just push the icon which says defragmentor it will tell you when its finished.

System restore This is your life line it allows you to go back to a time and date if you have a problem with your computer (does not get rid of a virus) to have a look at it go to:

Start/ALL PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/SYSTEM TOOLS, now open System Restore and ensure the button is again restore my computer to an earlier time, now click next and you will see a calender on left and some dates are hightlighted if so everything is OK now push CANCEL and it will close, you only push next if you want to restore.

Norton Anti Virus 2002/2003 version

Like the programs above you should check for live updates every week and run full scan at the same time, I know you will say a box comes up say virus updated, that is only for virus definations, so you should open program and run live update and run full scan it normally takes about 15-20 min, Norton normally release Virus updates on Wednesday/Thursday. Always ensure that the little yellow TV screen on bottom of the computer does not have a red cross, if it does go into the prgram and ensure auto protech box is ticked.

Windows Update

This is where microsoft publish all updated for all program and is very important to visit every week, there are critical and recommened, you should always install criticals and the chose what recommended ones you want, just read the descriptions and you then can decide.

Where is it:START/ALL PROGRAMS near the top, if not there then open control panel and is on left hand side, (you must be connected to the internet for it to work.

Firewall

Any computer which connects to the internet should have a firewall you can buy third party products like, Zonealarm,Black ICE,Norton Personal Firewall, however XP both version have a build in product which is very good, it does not matter whether using a dialup connection or ADSL or Cable you should never connect to the internet without it running.

Where is it: For dial connection START/CONNECT TO (right hand side of screen) highlight your ISP(if more than one ISP each one has to be done) now right click mice and look for properties click open and now push advanced and you will see the heading INTERNET CONNECTION FIREWALL tick the box next to protect my computer etc, AND NOW PUSH OK, that it

ADSL OR Cable START/CONTROL PANEL if using category view click network and internet connections/Network connections, now highlight the local area connection and right mice click and look for properties open and click on advanced tick the box as I mention above for dial up.

If using the classic look in control panel then click open  network connections and you will see Local area connection hightlight and right click look for properties and just to the same as above.

I hope these tips will help you have a better running and a protected computer from virus and worms, just a little tip never never open an email if you don't know the sender not even if it looks like you have won a million euros, they will contact you just delete.

Tony Miller

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tony Miller - 14 years ago

Hi All the time difference between Cote de Azur and Sydney,

March to October Sydney+8.0hrs, October till March Sydney+10hrs

Tony Miller

Sorry no image available

Fugly

No problem, I have answered him, there is fax software provided FOC with XP and I have told him where to get it on machine, now he has two options

Tony Miller

Sorry no image available

Tim

If you want free fax software go to START/CONTROL PANEL/if using classic view/category view then click on ADD/REMOVE then on left click add/remove windows components and then tick fax service and you have fax software F.O.C, I am not sure whether it allow document to be scanned into it directly, otherwise you have two options, take the scan document into Word, or Wordperfect then select send to and you should see fax, if not you will need to buy Symantec winfax 10 which is full fax software and allows directly input of scan docs,and can be purchased and downloaded online http://www.symantec.com

Remember fax software does not work with ADSL or Cable connection

Tony Miller

Sorry no image available
Posted by fugly-185614 - 14 years ago

Tony, do not mean to tread on your toes by answering this one, (good advice by the way and apologies if I have) but just incase it is night time there.

theswan, go to this link and you should be able to find the software you need.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Theswan-186225 - 14 years ago

Morning/afternoon/evening Tony,

(not sure on time difference in Oz). Maybe you can help with this one, I recently had my laptop overhauled and it now runs XP, I have everything else that I need installed except for one thing. I really need to be able to fax. Someone told me that you can get fax software to run on your PC that you can use with your scanner. I don`t suppose you know of any free fax software and where you can download it from????

Cheers

Tim

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pam Morton-188572 - 14 years ago

Good heavens,

That makes it all even more interesting- Australia?!!!   Thanks again.

Pam

Sorry no image available

Hi

Just so that people don't think I am missing all the lovely weather in the cote de azur, I am in Sydney Australia where we have a home and we also have a home in Menton, as its winter here and is a cool 19c today.

Please feel free to ask questions more than happy to help if its possible, don't feel embarassed because you might think the question is silly

Tony Miller

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pam Morton-188572 - 14 years ago

What a Godsend, thank you so much Tony.Pam

Sorry no image available

Hi

As to your question it depends on either laptop for desktop, if I look at laptops then Toshiba is the best because of the quality of the parts used and laptop are normally kept for longer than desktops, in desktop Dell as they are well made sold at a good price, and can be discarded in 3 years and they even run a recycle policy in certain markets. Unless you are going build your own computer only buy Dell,Compaq,HP,IBM, becuase of warranty, quality of parts used and customer service and today they are so close the non name brands there is only one chose.

Hope that has answered your question

Tony Miller

Sorry no image available
Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - 14 years ago

If you could be ANY computer in the world, what would you be and why?