DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

GPRS

Posted by robal-181335 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Does anyone know what you need to activate on your phone once GPRS has taken effect from the phone company.

Network with Orange

AOL will be used for email

thanks in advance

Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chatterbox-190278 - 14 years ago

Go onto the Orange website and fill in a couple of details about your phone and yourself - it will send you an SMS message which should configure your phone automatically.

Re Doug's response, yes it's a bit of a mess only if you want it as a modem across Bluetooth to a PDA or laptop, but I don't think this is what you're looking for.

Give me a shout if you need specific help.

Sally

Sorry no image available
Posted by Doug-181340 - 14 years ago

Hi robal,

Are you using another device with your phone to access the GPRS? I set mine up a while ago with a Palm Tungsten T, Nokia 6310i and a French Orange account. The Palm came with a nifty little application (PhoneLink - comes on the Palm CD) to help set up the connection with the phone (via Bluetooth) and Orange GPRS. It was very straightforward and I didn't seem to need to do anything special. In fact, the last time I went to the UK, I popped into an Orange shop, got a £20 pay-as-you-go UK SIM and that worked straight away just by changing the the PhoneLink application setting from Orange France to Orange UK. I then used VersaMail (which also comes with the Palm CD) set it up to collect mail for my own ISP via a POP account and it all worked just fine.

Not having had an AOL account, I'm not sure if you're able to pick up e-mail from them by POP3.

Overall, this was one of those areas of technology that I thought would be a nightmare to set up, but it ended up being very straightforward in the end. Maybe it just depends on the kit you're trying to use with it...

If you post a few more details of what you're trying to do and the gear you're trying to do it with, it may be possible to give a more specific answer.