DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

GPRS

Posted by robal-181335 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chatterbox-190278 - 15 years ago

Go onto the Orange website and fill in a couple of details about your phone and yourself - it will send you an SMS message which should configure your phone automatically.

Re Doug's response, yes it's a bit of a mess only if you want it as a modem across Bluetooth to a PDA or laptop, but I don't think this is what you're looking for.

Give me a shout if you need specific help.

Sally

Sorry no image available
Posted by Doug-181340 - 15 years ago

Hi robal,

Are you using another device with your phone to access the GPRS? I set mine up a while ago with a Palm Tungsten T, Nokia 6310i and a French Orange account. The Palm came with a nifty little application (PhoneLink - comes on the Palm CD) to help set up the connection with the phone (via Bluetooth) and Orange GPRS. It was very straightforward and I didn't seem to need to do anything special. In fact, the last time I went to the UK, I popped into an Orange shop, got a £20 pay-as-you-go UK SIM and that worked straight away just by changing the the PhoneLink application setting from Orange France to Orange UK. I then used VersaMail (which also comes with the Palm CD) set it up to collect mail for my own ISP via a POP account and it all worked just fine.

Not having had an AOL account, I'm not sure if you're able to pick up e-mail from them by POP3.

Overall, this was one of those areas of technology that I thought would be a nightmare to set up, but it ended up being very straightforward in the end. Maybe it just depends on the kit you're trying to use with it...

If you post a few more details of what you're trying to do and the gear you're trying to do it with, it may be possible to give a more specific answer.