DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Graham Greene's 100th birthday, 2 Oct. in Antibes

Posted by kensmith-197043 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 13 years ago

His tirade in his book ' J'Accuse ' ,against the way things are run in the Mediterranean town of Nice was nothing short of an incomprehensible meddling in local politics by an expat retired English author of some repute in his own country.

If things had been left as they were with the Medecin family in control, we wouldn't have the mess we have today - the British have a major problem in comprehending trade and barter !!

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rebel-193688 - 13 years ago

You must have read a different version of Green's article 'J'accuse' from the one I read - it wasn't scurrilous, it was reporting facts.Rebel

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 13 years ago

Why don't you have the party at Chez Felix on the corner by the Port of Antibes archway into the old town - it's where Greene had lunch everyday after buying his Daily Telegraph at the newsagent opposite. A more disagreeable man I think I still have to meet! His sworn enemy Anthony Burgess at least had a sense of humour coupled with a cynical view on life on the Riviera. Greene did untold damage to Nice, my favourite town, with his scurrilous missive 'J'accuse ', now thankfully out of print !!

stgeorge