DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Grasse & property

Posted by NadiaG-192314 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by NadiaG-192314 - 13 years ago

it's true, a lot of people will advise you against investing in Grasse but few will give you reasons... difficult!!Nadia

Sorry no image available
Posted by emma eyden - 13 years ago

We're looking to buy a house in the Chateauneuf Pré du Lac area, does anyb ody live here or near?   To find out about any possible urban development changes would I have to investigate at the Mairie in Grasse? Whenever I mention looking for a place near Grasse I get warning off signs from people, but they are never specific......

Thanks for any useful info on this area.

Sorry no image available
Posted by NadiaG-192314 - 13 years ago

Nearly a year after my original posting, some things have changed in Grasse, and the railway station is now working!!!What do you think about property in Grasse? Worth it??Nadia

Sorry no image available
Posted by Andy G-190935 - 14 years ago

Hi Sparkles,

I just kept looking on openmedia.fr. They have an email alert service where you can specify your budget and the type of place your looking for. Most of the agents around Grasse (and there are so many!) use this site now in addition to thier own, so with the email service you can be kept up to date daily without having to check 50 sites per day. That said, it's always a good idea to get to know some key agents that operate in any area you are really interested in. Eg 'ERA Loudig' for Chateauneuf and around, 'Malin' for Bar Sur Loup, 'Le Tuc' for Magagnosc etc. That way you might get some advanced warning of things before they come on the market. 

The agent we actually used was called 'Agence du Soleil' in Chateauneuf de Grasse, but I don't think it's there anymore.

Hope this helps

Andy

Sorry no image available
Posted by 2004sparkles-193110 - 14 years ago

Hi Andy

Which agents did you register with? I'd like to find out more!

Cheers

Sparkles

Sorry no image available
Posted by poggis - 14 years ago

The old town has suffered a lot from bad reputation. Also it has been sort of abandonned for years, it's quite dark and there aren't many shops, but it looks like all this is slowly changing. Still reasonably cheap compared the surrounding areas.Poggis

Sorry no image available
Posted by NadiaG-192314 - 14 years ago

Hi Cathy,

Which areas of Grasse are you investig in? What is our opinion of the old town?

regards,

Sorry no image available
Posted by Andy G-190935 - 14 years ago

Hi Nadia,

We bought a place in Grasse St Jean last year. We were looking around the Grasse / Chateauneuf/ Magagnosc area for about a year because as you say these areas still offer better value for money. I will say though that while monitoring the market closely in this area we noticed that the prices in these parts of Grasse increased considerably in 2003 even though the 'index' published in the Grasse Matin showed that the average land price apparently decreased in Grasse during 2003.

I read in the connection CdA recently that Grasse is expecting an economic boom. I hope that’s true of course. There does seem to be some investment. Particularly in near the soon-to-be renovated railway station.

Just one bit of advice though, be sure to visit the area around the house/apartment to be sure you will like it before making any commitments. I have seen quite a lot a houses, especially around the St Jacques quartier which look idyllic in the imobilier’s windows but are actually completely surrounded by high rise flats. That may not be a problem for you of course, and there are also very nice parts of St Jacques. Watch out for that penetrant extension though!

Just a final word, Grasse for many has a slightly down market reputation, but 3 people from my office, all in our 30’s have just bought houses/ apts in Grasse. One in St Antoine, another St Jacques and me in St Jean. All of us are pleased with our purchases and have so far liked living in Grasse. I bought a 150m2 house (needing work) with a garden and a pool for the same price as a 2p, 50m2 apt in Antibes or Juan le Pins. I also have a beautiful view of the sea and surrounding countryside, and I even get the occasional whiffs of perfume from the factories in the valley below. Last week it was strawberries!

Cheers

Andy

Sorry no image available
Posted by CathyK-185468 - 14 years ago

We are buying properties in Grasse, there is good renovation possibilities still available, we have just signed for our 3rd, our other 2 properties have doubled in value in the space of less than 2 years. as mentioned before the services that are arriving in grasse will help the area grow in value while other areas are stalling. my advice is grab it while you can.Cathy

Sorry no image available
Posted by Shuba - 14 years ago

I believe the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Riviera will always be good value for money. The demand is bigger than what are on offer.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Have you thought of San Remo? Even though it is not in France it might actually be a positive, there is beautiful properties with sea views for sale for much less than here. The area has huge potential and slowly getting more and more popular. But then it does depend on where you work.

As far as Grasse is concerned, it depends where in Grasse. The value should still go up though, but at a lesser rate.