DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Have Laptop - need CD burner... any advice?

Posted by SR-192327 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by SR-192327 - 14 years ago

The aftermath...

I had a look in Carrefour (Lingostière) yesterday and was not entirely surprised that the CD burners turned out so much more expensive than advertised on UK websites - can anyone recommend a shop/site that will deliver to France and is relatively cheap?

What I was surprised to find was that the very same PCMCIA card that I found on ebuyer.com (about £15 including delivery) was priced at €99 in Carrefour.

It pays to shop around.

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 14 years ago

quote:entrance/exit for the little hamsters that operate the internal machinery.

Can't stop thinking about Hamsters in my laptop now!

Sorry no image available

Damn you you Angloinfo people you're efficient.

As soon as I request it you add a Topic Review section on the 'reply to a posting' page.

Did you do it that quickly just to make me look stupid and to highlight the fact that I've never scrolled down the posting page?

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 14 years ago

quote:Note to Angloinfo people: please could we have some way of being able to see previous messages when writing a new posting. Think it would help people (me) to write coherent messages and not mean that they have to refer a specific piece of machinery as 'an adaptor thing'. Thank you.id=quote>When you're replying to a posting, do you see a "Topic Review" section when you scroll past the main form?

Sorry no image available

Thanks David, that's fantastic - not only for the effort you've gone to but also for the fact that I've never had a manual for it. I shall be saving that link.

I had noticed that PCMCIA slot before and suspected that that was perhaps it when it was mentioned earlier. I didn't like to venture my opinion in case I was wrong and that that was the entrance/exit for the little hamsters that operate the internal machinery.

Anyway, I have a plan of action (which you will all be delighted to hear):

buy the CD/DVD burner I mentioned earlier.Plug it in one of my USB 1.1 ports (oh yes, I have a choice - this is the luxury model and comes with more than one) and give it a whirl. If I'm not satisfied with the speed then I shall order the aforementioned PCMCIA adaptor thing (on-line obviously, my French is never good enough to be able to pronounce all those letters), plug the Burner in via the PCMCIA adaptor thing, in through the hamster door and see what sort of speed that produces.

Simple.

Thanks for all your help.

Note to Angloinfo people: please could we have some way of being able to see previous messages when writing a new posting. Think it would help people (me) to write coherent messages and not mean that they have to refer a specific piece of machinery as 'an adaptor thing'. Thank you.

Sorry no image available

Once again I've screwed up the hyperlink - any chance of an "edit button" admin :)

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/content/common/manuals/bpb12869/bpb12869.pdf

should be the link to the pdf file with the manual.

Sorry no image available

just checked the manual for your machine - http://riviera.angloinfo.com/forum/link.asp?topic_ID=19888 and its on the left hand side behind the floppy drive. Hope this helps (its called a PC Card on these models)

Sorry no image available

Usually on the side of the machine. Its the slot for adding extra things like network cards etc

Sorry no image available

er... I'm definitely opening myself up to ridicule as you all clearly know what a PCMCIA port is. I had a look at the link (two posts up from this one) but I'm still none the wiser. Where would I find this PCMCIA then? Maybe someone with a Compaq Presario 907 EA (that is the correct model number by the way - discovered the label underneath when looking for the mysterious port) or similar could point me in the right direction?

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 14 years ago

Hi SR,I'd be surprised if you could (re)write at more than 4x with your existing USB 1.1 port, but if you've got a spare PCMCIA slot on your laptop then you might want to think about getting a USB 2.0 card, which will enable you to write at the much higher speeds. You can pick one up for about £13 on ebuyer.com (just do a search for "usb pcmcia").