DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Health system

Posted by Snikwah - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Garonne - 6 years ago

How dreadful for you and your daughter.  It's so sad.

I don't understand lots about this.

4 children who are half French so she must be registered with the CAF for child benefit which is calculated from their avis d'impots.  So are you saying avis d'impots have been issued but that he's lied on his tax declaration?

Are you/is she absolutely sure this isn't the normal annual expiry of health cover which is then renewed once you fill the form in? 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Snikwah - 6 years ago

Yes Garone, what a mess, homeless and penniless after 4 children and 23 years of marriage and now cancer which I am sure is brought on by the stress of it all.  He is French.  All I can do is hope now, dreadful to be a parent looking on at it all. 

Sorry no image available

Gosh, what a terrible mess.

So her husband is what nationality?  He runs a business here and has never filled in a tax declaration in 24 years?  That's one heck of a mess indeed.

Has your daughter EVER worked in France (self-employed or salaried).   So if the husband hasn't ever filled in tax declarations on her behalf she's never been declared either, which is also tricky I'm afraid.

I think you're confused with the 3 month rule to qualify for state cover and the unemployment side of it.  Registering at the Pole Emploi as unemployed for any length of time won't get a person into the health system unless they've worked and are entitled to unemployment benefit.  It doesn't suffice to be simply registered for work.

This is so complicated and your daughter is going to be asked questions as to why she doesn't have avis d'impots and whiichever way you look at it, her husband's going to in enormous trouble.

She must to and see an Assistante Sociale and be brutally honest.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ouch that hurt !-230853 - 6 years ago

She must go to the CCAS (social asstnt) & they will advise, provide forms etc.

Sorry no image available

thank you everyone, you are so kind and also so thoughtful to take the time.  She is English by birth but her husband even though earning a lot of money has 'never' paid tax nor even paid the VAT on all kinds of stuff, quite amazing and in such trouble now.  He put the insurance into her name not sure how that worked but it was only when she went to find out about her mutuelle that the end date came to light.  She goes to hospital today and operation tomorrow and hopefully, thanks to all your replies, there is something she can do to sort it out.  Unlike me she speaks flluent French so at least can discuss her situation.  Good news that as she has such a dreadful illness her cover is assured.  Thank you all so very very much.

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 6 years ago

I don't know all the ins and outs of this so could be wrong but when you say her health cover finishes, presumably this is a health cover that has been carrying on from her entitlement through some kind of employment or self-employment? Once the employment or self-employment ends, that caisse will only continue to carry you for a finite length of time. But after that, if she is in the system it should simply be a case of filling in the forms and being shifted onto a different scheme. Maybe she can get CMU or CMU-C. But it won't happen automatically, it isn't her current caisse's job to sort out what will happen after they are no longer responsible for her, she will have to apply. Sounds like one for the assistante sociale.

But like I say, I could be wrong.

Sorry no image available
Posted by gardengarden-246645 - 6 years ago

She must talk to her dr. at once as she has cancer she will be covered by the secu 100%. This is for all cancer sufferers. I know having been in that position myself, you will be covered for every thing for the next ten years.

Sorry no image available

OK, I understand and wish your daughter well. x

When you get a chance try and give some more information.  You say that the insurance is in her name, well do you mean she has her own carte vitale but is an 'ayant droit' on her husband's dossier at the CPAM who has presumably worked and or been self-employed and has paid French contributions?  If this is the case, she should be able to just go along and open her own dossier with proof of health cover and residency for the past (at least) 5 years.  Naturally, this will include copies of avis d'impots (tax forms).

Is she an EU citizen?

How and why has she been informed thta her covere finishes in December?

Sorry no image available

Thank you Garonne - she goes into hospital tomorrow so do not want to ask more facts but think it is to do with her soon to be ex husband who has not paid tax forever! the insurance number is in her name now but she has not worked as she was an at home mom.  It has only now come to light because of the cancer.  Funnily enough she started looking for a job a couple of months ago but never actualy registered as unemployed then the cancer started so she is concerned that they will not continue the insurance as she has not worked.  Wish I had more facts but all too delicate right now because of the hospital.  Thanks anyhow, so nice of you to reply.

Sorry no image available

thank you for your reply. Not sure if she should mention the cancer or not? just from the point of view of red tape??