DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Help

Posted by Paul Carmel-190537 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by danonimes-184717 - 14 years ago

PaulLooks good on IE6, Mozilla, Netscape, even Opera 6.1No worries on the beers, I've gone on the wagon.Cheershicstill have a look at the graphics/text links on the left tho'

Sorry no image available
Posted by Paul Carmel-190537 - 14 years ago

Attila,

The beer will be honoured!

PC

Sorry no image available

First of all thank you all for your comments, they are really useful and we will look into it all over the weekend. In the meantime we have changed the font on the English pages to lower case Ariel, it is mostly in bold so not sure how much of a problem to read that will be  - the lowest point size is 9, just for our tel no/email - the rest is all 10, 11 and 22.  Would be great to know if this works better before we change the French - we're racking up those beers for you all!

Cheers,

PC

Sorry no image available
Posted by attila-183479 - 14 years ago

Looks absolutely OK to me too........how about a free week there in return?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Aroncb - 14 years ago

Hey Paul,

Nice simple site, to the point and well structured.  Appears ok on my machine.

Nice opening site design but a couple of pointers to help your site be found and listed be search engines.

What will help with readability is limiting into columns.  About the same character length as a typical newspaper column is optimum for readability.  Use images and text throughout site to breakup each other. 

1.  Your keyword meta tags  do not seem to have comma seperators.  They need a seperator, or unless someone searches for all those words in a line it will not apply.  Depending on engine.  EG "Corsica, France, Self Catering, self-catering, self catering france."

2. Search engines prefer Text links between pages.  You link using graphic hotspots.  Graphics are bad - Text is good.  IMagine you are a robot who can only see text...  You would be much better using normal links with a graphics background.   This would solve your small hot spot issue too. 

3.You should put ALT tags on the images.  Keep the image descriptions relevent and involving your keywords. 

4.  Add text descriptions under each photo - EG "Calvi Beach in June", "Views of the moutains east of Corsica." " The Self Catering  residence on Corisca."  Think keywords....  what do you want people to find you with when you type.

5. Get links to your site from other well traffiked sites, helps no end with listings. 

There are 2 main reasons for this type of web site. As a backup to brochures and advertising , more information and more sales messaging.  Or as a advertising tool in itself to attract customers. 

If you are doing the later drop me a line and I'll send you a list of URLs that will give you more info on optimising for search engines.  Oh and a little tip pay per click can cost a bomb so be careful if you use it. 

Try actually reading the code text of your site, and see if it mentions the key things you are selling on - IE corsica, Holiday, Self Catering ETC...  If you can`t figure it out doing this, then nor can a search engine...  There were 353 people searching last month on "corsica holiday" and only 10 for "corsica self catering."   Design and write text according to demand and relevence. 

Hope you find some of above helpful...  You are most of the way there, a bit of tweaking and you'll be done.

Most of all have fun doing the site :-) 

ACB

Sorry no image available
Posted by theresponsibleadult-188195 - 14 years ago

Paul,

I believe that you will not run into trouble with a wide assortment of browsers if you use Arial.  For legibility use nothing smaller than Size 10-11, not all-caps, and not all bolded either.

Not specifically trained to build web sites, but having done it for my work and pleasure in the past, I found this site to be very useful.

When some of the other more highly-evolved techies come back online, I'm sure they can offer more..

Sorry no image available

Hi Mike,

Thank for all this! So it looks like a font change is in order, to do this I have to re type the whole site aghhh is there a way that I can find a font that will work all browsers in advance so dont have to go through this again?

Cheers

PC

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

OK - I can't replicate the "overlapping" problem, but it is very hard to read in Netscape 4.7 (Windows) and pretty rough in Mozilla 1.0. The main problem - as danonimes' post suggested - is the way these browsers render your font choice.

As an aside, writing ALL IN CAPS with a semi-decorative font may look pretty but will be harder to read than mixed-case sans serif. Once the Netscape/Mozilla browsers have done their thing it can all get a bit more wobbly...

The site's really awful in Lynx (a purely text-based browser, from the dawn of time), but that's hardly a major concern :-)

Mike

Sorry no image available

Glad you like what you see but please believe me we spent hours trying to get this right and then a friend said they could not read it, so I look to you lot for an opinion which has been not only helpful but has opened our eyes to where we may be off the mark

This is going to cost me a lot of Pietra!

Cheers

PC

Sorry no image available
Posted by anthonyb-187880 - 14 years ago

Hi Paul,

Just had a look at site and would have to agree that the text does look bit fuzzy on the eye..sorry.Pictures very good though.

Best of luck.

Kind Regards
Anthony Brophy