DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

help!!!!! lost car paperwork

Posted by james lynch - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

can anyone help. i bought a second hand car a little while ago, and never got around to registering it in my name (stupid I know) i have since lost all the paperwork for the car, and dont have the details of the guy i got it from. in the uk i wouls contact the dvlc to sort this out, but i have no idea what to do here in france.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Andy G-190935 - 13 years ago

Hopefully your car is insured, in which case your insurance company should have copies of all your paperwork.

Andy 

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

They are going to assume that you are not the legal owner of the car unless you can produce proof to the contrary.  Produce any papers you can, for example the original advert, the CT paper, that might support your claim.

If you are lucky, the person from whom you purchased it will have sent in his copy of the green certificat de cession,  on which he will have filled in your name and address as the new owner.

Start saying your prayers!

Sorry no image available
Posted by sledger-197331 - 13 years ago

OH dear what a mess..................

you'll have to go to the prefecture with the registraton no. and keep your fingers crossed, explain what happened, to register that car you are really gonna need the previous owners carte de greis.