DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

hepatitus c

Posted by scotsgirl-194444 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pervinca - 13 years ago

There was an article a few weeks' ago in the Nice-Matin Sunday medical supplement on this subject, and it sounded very encouraging: they use a tritherapie here (including Interferon) and there's a 60 percent cure rate.

I'll look it out if you're interested.  It sounds encouraging, and don't forget they're coming up with new therapies/drugs all the time, so try to  keep cheerful!   A friend in Italy found out a few months' ago ( a routine test) he had it & it was a big shock. He's married with 2 young children. But he's taking his medicine, looks and feels ok, is still playing tennis.... had to give up the bottle, though.

Good luck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by scotsgirl-194444 - 13 years ago

Thanks for the support and web link - I've been reading up on this since yesterday and am not so panicked as I was!

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

By a strange coincidence,  there is an article in tonight's London Evening Standard about a new website that the NHS has set up dealing with prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of Hep C.

Here is the URL : http://www.hepc.nhs.uk/index.asp

A lot of useful information, much of it quite encouraging.  Good luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by pjd-185342 - 13 years ago

Hi there,Well its good news and bad news. The good news is that this is not the end of the world. The bad news is the way western medicine will want to treat you. Most likely you will be recommended to have a liver biopsy. If there is evidence of cirrhosis they may tell you a course of interferon is the only way to go. Don't feel you have to say yes to this medication straight away. I would suggest that you explore Traditional Chinese Medicine first as there has been a lenghty study conducted in Australia (by western doctors and those practising TCM at the Newcastle University) which finds this a very effective means of treating the disease. Interferon has dreadful side effects and isn't always successful. Anyway if you'd like to talk about it further drop me an email........ And keep your chin up huh!

Sorry no image available
Posted by rosetta-185721 - 13 years ago

Dear Scotsgirl

that must be a horrible shock for you, but the condition is treatable, especially if it isn't advanced. I'm sure your doctor will be able to recommend a course of treatment. Good luck.