DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Hooking up my laptop DVD to my TV and...

Posted by mymymy-195438 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by TerryT-188383 - 13 years ago

On my computer I have a choice of outputs between NTSC and PAL. I can choose between them in my screen display options. I've got Windows XP so I don't know what your Mac has, but have a look around in your graphics properties and maybe you'll find something that lets you output to PAL televisions.

Have you tried searching a Mac help page for a solution?

Sorry no image available
Posted by ian81-188951 - 13 years ago

I believe these have a special adapter to go from the VGA port to S video and can output in NTSC / PAL -so as Mike says most (modern) French TV's can handle PAL. I suspect the 'switch' may be via an on screen menu called up by some exotic combination of buttons on the remote -so hope you have got and can comprehend the TV manual. this page shows what is needed from the ibook end http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58620

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

The above sounds right, but most French TV's default to SECAM but have a switch to PAL.  However the laptop may well put out an NTSC signal in which case I think you are flogging a dead horse.

However if you can switch the TV to PAL,  you might get a small B&W picture from the NTSC output.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

Maybe your iBook is NTSC and the French Telly SECAM?Tony