DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Horrible 'spider' bite?

Posted by benandal-185374 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by LoriMansour - 13 years ago

StGeorge:  You are absolutely right.  I have never seen a spider actually bite me.  I only figured it was a spider due to the fact that I find them in the house all the time.  When vacuuming, I am always alarmed when I move a trash can or sofa back only to find a, too large for my liking, spider scramble away.  You'd think I'd be used to it by now.  It does drive me crazy that I don't KNOW for sure what it is that bit me.  Not sure if there is a way to know??  I don't buy all that medication stuff as I never really got any results from it.  Just let it heal on its own.

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 13 years ago

The reality of all this communion with nature and joking aside is that no one will actually own up to having seen a spider bite anyone - the spider hunts nocturnally but isn't likely to crawl up your arm as you lie asleep peacefully and bite you for no reason ! ( I'm talking about this region of France) ( You may have found spiders in your wifes dressing gown, but it doesn't mean she was bitten by them ! )

These bites we talk of are undoubtedly due to other species, such as ticks, horse flies,mosquitos,lice, scorpions,acarian allergies and similar arachnids and insects quite often found in the countryside! Don't forget that birds, frogs, toads, lizards and certain rodents ( dormice) live on these insects as part of their ecological diet/cycle !

See a most interesting Website for further info. and to put everyones mind at rest : http://pdubois.free.fr/a_venin.php -  just make sure there's a large bottle of Dettol and a wire brush handy ! The local pharmacies must love you lot, rubbing their hands with glee as another ' bitten by a spider ' season gets under way - Oui Madame, you have a fair skin, the spiders like this a lot,as you take out a 100 Euros of useless antihistamine sounding soothing creams when a litre of vinegar and a few joss sticks would have done the trick  !! Vivez en Provence !

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by LoriMansour - 13 years ago

I live in Provence, not the Cote Azur, but we have tons of spiders here.  We are in the countryside.  I have had several bites.  They seem to hurt the first couple of days and then swell up.  After that, on me anyway, they seem to crust over like soars.  It is AWFULL !!!  My husband has never had one of these bites.  I have no idea why I am the lucky one !!!!!  Anyway, short of leaving a bit of a scar, they do heal.

Sorry no image available

see http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk for advice.

We were having a party in a barn up the back of Nice and this enormous tarantula/brown recluse  lunged at me from the eaves, biting me on the arm - within a few minutes, the necrosis had spread into the diameter of a coffee cup, leaving the most appaling ulcerated wound - only the application of a neat whisky soaked kitchen roll prevented possible loss of the appendage and a ruined evening !

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by benandal-185374 - 13 years ago

St George!!!!! Thats not what my wife wants to hear! She's still screwing her face up thinking a spider had been on her hand....to think there are more inside would be just great!!! The bite seems to be getting better so no need for amputation.........yet!Thanks everyone!

Sorry no image available

With some of the local spider bites, it shouldn't be mistaken for an ovipositor ' wound ' where the eggs have been laid inside the skin - get a Doctor to check it out or do whatever is necessary yourself !

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by fionawlk - 13 years ago

Well, as silly as it sounds I have a bit of a problem with spider bites! For some unknown reason they like biting me as well! I woke up with a fourth one this morning - the vacum cleaner is coming out later on! If you go to your local pharmacy they should be able to give you a cream, and if it's really bad (like the five enormous ones I had on my back last summer) they'll give you an antihistamine as well.Good luck!

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 13 years ago

Or go to your nearest pharmacy and ask.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by Christine-180881 - 13 years ago

The best is to ask a doctor. Check this link http://riviera.angloinfo.com/af/61/